When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The One That DIDN’T Get Away— ‘77 Sierra

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The shouldered nut is the part that the bolt threads into. It goes on the inside of the dropout. Once you see how it goes it will all make sense

Your correct, maybe coaster brakes are best for you!

But then I think about it, with a coaster brake bike you have to align the rear wheel, on a derailer bike the wheel just slips in. The better derailer bikes even have adjustable screw stops on the forged fork ends to make it even quicker/easier. When installing a rear wheel on a coaster brake bike, you have to adjust for the proper chain tension, it's automatically adjusted on a derailer bike. On a coaster brake bike, you have to use more than one tool to remove the rear wheel (brake arm strap bolt/nut), the derailer bike has either a single sized axle nut or the better bikes have a Quick Release axle hub. "Removing/Installing a rear wheel is faster AND easier than on a coaster brake bike.

So I have to ask? For I guy that truly hates derailers, why do you use the racing peloton as your ID photo? What Coaster Brake company is their sponsor, Maybe Groupo Morrow racing, Groupo Musselman?

John
I can rebuild a coaster brake bike now almost with my eyes closed. I sold a ten-speed Suburban a few months ago because dealing with derailleurs is the bane of my existence. Too many moving parts, too many fine adjustments. I’m not a jeweler, I’m a blacksmith. And I use that picture because I always loved the irony of these world-class athletes winding down from a grueling race by inhaling tobacco into their lungs, has nothing to do with cycling per se.

The shouldered nut is the part that the bolt threads into. It goes on the inside of the dropout. Once you see how it goes it will all make sense
Inside? Oh there’s no way in hell I’ll be able to do that. Jeezus I’m sorry now that I bought this infernal bike. Why can’t this bike have a nice hole drilled for that bolt like my Suburban?

But then I think about it, with a coaster brake bike you have to align the rear wheel, on a derailer bike the wheel just slips in. The better derailer bikes even have adjustable screw stops on the forged fork ends to make it even quicker/easier. When installing a rear wheel on a coaster brake bike, you have to adjust for the proper chain tension, it's automatically adjusted on a derailer bike. On a coaster brake bike, you have to use more than one tool to remove the rear wheel (brake arm strap bolt/nut), the derailer bike has either a single sized axle nut or the better bikes have a Quick Release axle hub. "Removing/Installing a rear wheel is faster AND easier than on a coaster brake bike.

So I have to ask? For I guy that truly hates derailers, why do you use the racing peloton as your ID photo? What Coaster Brake company is their sponsor, Maybe Groupo Morrow racing Groupo Musselman?

John
I can rebuild a coaster brake bike now almost with my eyes closed. I sold a ten-speed Suburban a few months ago because dealing with derailleurs is the bane of my existence. Too many moving parts, too many fine adjustments. I’m not a jeweler, I’m a blacksmith. And I use that picture because I always loved the irony of these world-class athletes winding down from a grueling race by inhaling tobacco into their lungs, has nothing to do with cycling per se.
If you are having this much problem with taking the rear wheel off/on, what's going to happen when you have to remove and install your front QUICK RELEASE wheel?

Schwinn got sued so many times because of inept riders not following the quick release skewer directions they had to install the front hub safety clips. It's hard to protect us against ourselves.

John

So I have to ask? For I guy that truly hates derailers, why do you use the racing peloton as your ID photo? What Coaster Brake company is their sponsor, Maybe Groupo Morrow racing Groupo Musselman?

John

If you are having this much problem with taking the rear wheel off/on, what's going to happen when you have to remove and install your front QUICK RELEASE wheel?

Schwinn got sued so many times because of inept riders not following the quick release skewer directions they had to install the front hub safety clips. It's hard to protect us against ourselves.

John
I appreciate your assistance, but your tone is becoming condescending. I’ve already removed, reinstalled, and removed again the front wheel.

FINALLY
FA0E56D5-DCF7-4981-B55E-52E085AF1302.jpeg

Wonderful! Never take off the derailleur unless you’re going to work on it.
And I will add that to the list of things I learned today. See, had ten-year-old sodd just been more brave and inquisitive, he would've taken his Schwinn Hurricane-5 apart and discovered all these things forty-three years ago when he should have.

Back