When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Other Side of the Coin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Boris

Old fat tired rider
I'm just using this bike that sold for a very good price today as an example. In no way am I making any value judgements on what the new owner decides to do with his/her recent acquisition. But since the trend seems to be leaning towards original bikes as opposed to "restored", it would be very tempting to part this one out, as the sum of parts certainly outweighs the purchase price. I considered it myself and made my decision. But in cases such as this, I also think it's important to consider the amount of blood sweat and tears that went into putting a bike like this together and the final result. And even though it's "restored", can't it be OK to just let a bike like this stand on it's own merits? Decisions, decisions.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just using this bike that sold for a very good price today as an example. In no way am I making any value judgements on what the new owner decides to do with his/her recent acquisition. But since the trend seems to be leaning towards original bikes as opposed to "restored", it would be very tempting to part this one out, as the sum of parts certainly outweighs the purchase price. I considered it myself and made my decision. But in cases such as this, I also think it's important to consider the amount of blood sweat and tears that went into putting a bike like this together and the final result. And even though it's "restored", can't it be OK to just let a bike like this stand on it's own merits? Decisions, decisions.
View attachment 792338

Yes it's ok.
In fact, the further away from the wall, the better it will look standing on it’s own merits.

This hobby has always been infected with mercenaries who don't really care about the bikes.
I was at Ann Arbor, in 1990, and watched some Chicago guy's part out an original 30's Ranger.
They did this because it didn't sell and they wanted some cash to go home with.
To each his own, but thinking about parting this Colson out is the same kind of thinking.

When I built up my '57 Lenton from bare frame and fork, did it without altering the original frame and fork in any way. I built it entirely bolt-on, which required engineering, beginning with custom hubs to fit the 115 mm OLD, 8mm axle dropouts.

Last edited:
I would only part it out if it was original paint then people could use the parts Don’t make sense to part a painted bike the paint job cost mor then the bike

It sat on the field at Copake all day opposite an unrestored somewhat pieced together example that was more money. That should tell you something. It did sell however for a good deal less than asking, while the unrestored went unsold. It was overdone imo, but a neat bike nonetheless.

Back