When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pile

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pile.....what pile? watched this heap grow over the last 20 years. Never was anything for sale. Now, rusted, bent and broken
the owner still thinks they are gold plated

View attachment 1417084

View attachment 1417085
I know people like that. If you have it though & they want it; it's value decreases drastically & they wouldn't want to pay no near those prices

I disagree with the rare=valuable part. An item must have demand to have value. There are a lot of rare bikes that people wouldn't give $100 for while there are others where many exist, but a lot of people want, that are very expensive. V/r Shawn
What I meant in the strictest sense was that rarity creates value. If it didn't The Scream would not fetch what it does at auction. As an auctioneer, I see rarity trump demand all the time. Not saying demand does not affect value at all, but how rare an item is beats demand.
I see the value go up exponentially when an auctioned item is rare vs. in demand.

Pile.....what pile?
When I read the title, I think of a frequently posted picture of a larger pile of bicycles in some foreign country which may have experimented in the pseudo philosophical comment that “you don’t own” your private or personal property.

This thread was 1 of 2, fairly-wordy ones, but not very well thought-out.

Last edited:
they say this nonsense over at the Jalopy Journal... "we are just caretakers of these old cars" ... nope, we own them and can do what we want with them. just like the million dollar painting. my guess is the people who buy million dollar paintings are more about the Benjamins than the art. you can have a beautiful painting done for a few thousand dollars I would imagine, but there ain't no money in that.

I still think it’s wrong to buy all the cheaper bikes at a event like that when people are coming from all around so they can find one or two bikes so you screwed all those people in the name of a buck

at the same time I also think you can do whatever you want to the bikes when you own them but I’ll still curse the last owner of every spray painted clear coated yard art I buy

I still think it’s wrong to buy all the cheaper bikes at a event like that when people are coming from all around so they can find one or two bikes so you screwed all those people in the name of a buck

at the same time I also think you can do whatever you want to the bikes when you own them but I’ll still curse the last owner of every spray painted clear coated yard art I buy
Dude,
He was there, he had the money, so what!
If you are seeking cheap bikes, you're penny pinching the gas prices. Gas prices are so high because companies want profit. Wah, wah, wah!
You're fortunate enough to live in America, quit bitching if everything doesn't go YOUR way.
With All Due Respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back