When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Potential of a 2020 Orange Krate: An Evaluation of Original Condition and Potential

-
F317AE89-2F4F-4623-BC31-3BEFD72FAF31.jpeg
Thinking more like this where the orange line is the sleeved cable with the pink being exposed cable. The orange cable would move forward when the brake is pulled, hence the largish loop to get it into position.

View attachment 1304678Thinking more like this where the orange line is the sleeved cable with the pink being exposed cable. The orange cable would move forward when the brake is pulled, hence the largish loop to get it into position.
I understand the concept behind what you are saying.

However, there's one thing I need help with. How do you make the 180 degree turn between the sleeved (orange) and unsleeved (pink) portion?

IMG_3023.JPG

Were you thinking a pulley like one often finds with a three speed shifter, but with a custom mount to fit on the chain stay? (I cannot find any with brackets designed to fit on that small of a tube.)

I really like the idea, I'm just trying to understand how to make it work. Thank you!

Fun post! Enjoying a fun little machine is what it’s all about.
All this joy so close to the merriest of holidays! Hoping some Schwinn-kid gets one under the tree and rolls with Big Pappa!

631618B1-58CD-458A-A447-0C7DB50FF2BF.jpeg

More like this. The cable is now anchored in the forward position and the brake arm still moves forward but the threaded sleeve end/adjuster goes into a pivot barrel at the location where the cable used to terminate.

The screw at the terminus of the cable can be your run of the mill brake caliper screw off any normal handbrake setup. The cable sleeve terminator at the barrel nut could also come from the same brake caliper.the threaded piece is in the factory drawing you posted with the note of “b”.

View attachment 1305022
More like this. The cable is now anchored in the forward position and the brake arm still moves forward but the threaded sleeve end/adjuster goes into a pivot barrel at the location where the cable used to terminate.
Thank you so much for drawing this out! I really really appreciate it, and so would not have understood it otherwise.

I still don't understand the mechanics of it, I must confess, but I understand the setup, and I have a strong feeling that once I have it in my hands, it will make sense. (I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive.)

Some updates on the build, and some notes about the merits and lack thereof of this bicycle.

In my replacement of the sprocket, I had put one of the bottom bracket bearings in backwards. (Say that five times fast!) I ordered a replacement bearing set, with new cups, etc. Note: this crank is 24tpi.

I thought it was really cool the way the metal stretched.

The new bearings are on the right.

E4F9A099-ABB3-402F-A1A9-E40C36A9AB51.jpeg

Remember the 1968 Fastback that I had on offer? I swapped the Mag sprocket and pedals over onto this bike, then sold the remainder and broke even on that project. It's important to note that this frame and the stock sprocket, which is flat, were meant to fit each other. A sprocket such as this one needs to be bumped out a bit.

I used two crank lock washer-sized washers, which provide just enough clearance. I think a third wouldn't be a bad idea, as it is awfully close. The washers are between the bearing cone and the sprocket, so I would hope that this isn't an exceedingly bad idea, but this is really outside my knowledge set. My concern is that the washers are moving the center of motion away from the stability of the bottom bracket. Hivemind, what do you think?

0036B4C1-9351-4F60-BDDD-59CB51B31769.jpeg

I didn't realize it, but the "Mag" sprocket is a bit bigger than the previous one, so I am going to need a bit more chain.

Totally unrelated, but came to mind with this picture: I found some clear purple dice valve caps for the Grape Krate I am selling, but I haven't been able to find any orange ones at a similar price point. Has anyone seen them?

B783F033-BF36-4EF2-B986-ADDA3C84E271.jpeg

5BED3870-9912-43FA-9A99-54395083754C.jpeg

What holds my umbrella? Why, a Campagnolo "umbrella" pump bracket.

I saw the baseball bat holders that some people have installed on their Stingrays, and while very cool, I thought that not quite my style. I was looking for interesting brackets and bits to use on this project, and came across this. Such a fun little bit of metal, a perfect fit, and what better to hold with it than an umbrella?

C07B51F0-9648-4B5F-8200-75C0B715AD91.jpeg

Wing-type nuts for bicycle axles are available in a wide variety of styles, though almost all seem to be for standard, rather than metric threads. These are some of the few that are out there for M9x1, and had to be ordered from France.

Yes, I am kind of thrilled by the look.

64A178F1-822D-41AA-8B79-05E9F435D3AE.jpeg

59DA4147-6983-4A93-8C13-8323DC6CB516.jpeg

Opposite the Campagnolo pump bracket sits this Shimano one, ordered from Portugal. It was just so cool that I could not resist. It will be solely decorative.

FD55DE2E-CE84-4070-AE0F-2C5DDDE2665B.jpeg

I've finally arrived on a speedometer that feels right. Big surprise as to what it is, eh? I liked the Clipper, but I could never get it to sit properly in place.

The stock axle does not have enough space to fit a Schwinn speedometer drive. I tried an older gear-driven one, but the cable didn't match up with this speedo head.

BE7888CD-F631-4317-B285-5F04FBDEB363.jpeg

I have a plastic speedometer drive that is designed to roll against the wheel. It's cute, but would require fabricating a mounting bracket and a new drive cable. I'm not sure that it fits well enough to justify the cost, and I'm not 100% convinced that it would work visually once done.

I think that the speedometer is more about looks than anything, so I've decided I am totally content to just have it sit there.

s-l1600.jpg

Next step: Waiting on some NOS Sturmey Archer hardware to be delivered from Belgium.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

As well as a really cute little bicycle license plate.
s-l1600.jpg

Once I have that all together, I'll work with the very kind @Bman212 to figure out the cable routing for the drum brake.

I found a $30 metallic purple with white "S" stripe seat cover for the Grape Krate and ordered it. If it's as good as I expect, I will be ordering a metallic orange one for this bike and hopefully install it.

With that done, it's off to the shop.

I already have the cable on hand for the brakes and hopefully derailleur. It's the visual effect that I've always had in mind, and I think the slightly vintage look will help. It only cost 2.5 times the cost of new plain cable and seemed worth it for the effect. Note: I have a third, not pictured here.

s-l1600.jpg

I picked up this bicycle for the Shimano Nexus 7 hub, shifter, and wheel set. It's my hope to trade the remainder of the bicycle, at the shop, for: balancing the rear wheel (I did a bad job of building it); cable finishing and calibration; the remainder of the chain, and whatever else needs to be done. Maybe there will be a little bit of cash involved and they will handle the seat cover.

F2D9197C-6B2D-411B-AAEA-70E2F5676DC8.jpeg

I added a couple links to the chain for the Schwinn "Mag" sprocket, and, having seen it, I'm starting to think I may want to switch back to the Mag-style one. I've been modeling this after a 1970 Krate, and the genuine "Mag" sprocket was an obvious upgrade that I really wanted, and jumped on when I had a chance to get one at the right price, but I'm not 100% sure that it's right at this point.

The Schwinn "Mag" sprocket that I am using came from a 1968 Fastback, and it's slightly larger than the Mag-style one I had previously. To my eyes, it's obviously bigger, and it puts the chain guard at slightly more of an angle. I think it may be too big for the space.

As an artist, I am kind of torn: Do I go for the sprocket where the proportions feel just right or do I go for the one that is more "cool"? I'm going to start with the question below:

Were the genuine "Mag" sprockets available in multiple sizes?

Thanks as always.

img_2976-jpg.jpg

0036b4c1-9351-4f60-bddd-59cb51b31769-jpeg.jpg

Back