When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 'Ratty' Robin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It’s been a minute but I’m back.

A few weeks ago I was up in the rafters of my garage organizing and working on cleaning out old clutter. I’ve cleared out lots of stuff and put lots of vintage bicycle parts into the hands of people that wanted them more than I did. I’ve saved some of the more desirable items for spare parts and a few pieces if I should choose to upgrade some of my current fleet. But I was really mainly trying to separate the piles into parts that I actually might have a use for versus stuff I’ll probably never need. That’s when I started unearthing pieces of the Robin project. It made me ask myself what I was waiting for in regards to putting it together.

I thought about it for a day or two and then began pulling parts out of the attic and assembling them. Honestly, it had been so long that I couldn’t even remember exactly what I had sitting around for this project. There were a few pleasant surprises as I discovered parts I’d forgotten I even had.

My goal is to get it all put together with as many correct (or very close) to “correct” parts as I can. I’m turning fifty in a few months and having this bike “done” is going to be a birthday present to myself. I’m planning a full mechanical restoration but cosmetically I think I’m going to build it (at least for right now) as a weathered looking survivor. I honestly don’t think I’d enjoy it nearly as much as a fully restored bicycle. At least not at this point in my life. I’d be afraid to ride it. Plus having children in the house means everything is prone to damage. I just don’t think I could give a restored bike the care it needs to keep it in pristine condition.

The first step was to put all the current pieces together and see what I was working with. (A special thank you to Catfish for the education on how to and for donating the parts to attach the front fender to the fork.) I’m still missing a few parts like a proper seat and some sort of kickstand or drop stand. I’ll be working on tracking those down soon. I have some correct hubs and some correct hoops- but they’re not presently mated together so I’ll need to take care of that as well. Plus there is a lengthy list of other smaller items that will need to be tended to. At this point I just wanted to put the majority of it together into an assembled bike, give it a short ride and take some pictures. It was a milestone moment for me this weekend after so much time and effort acquiring all of these pieces and storing them for so long. I’ve got about five months before my birthday so I’m going to get cooking on it.

Here are a few pictures of where I’m currently at with it.

D228101A-EDBE-42B2-8769-4D7F428D03E3.jpeg

C622FCF4-C238-4AD7-B90A-205C9B14959B.jpeg

DAA5833A-9DB6-456C-B42B-97665A723AA6.jpeg

Last edited:
This is what it’s all about. I’m happy to see you, and that beauty, back on the road. Can’t wait to see her all finished in the next five months.

Back