When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 'Ratty' Robin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Alienbaby17

Finally riding a big boys bike
The Robin Resurrection

I've been infatuated with the Elgin Robin since I first saw one several years ago. I think it's a striking bike whose design really encompasses some of the best styling cues of the time. Plus, I think the Zeppelin design of the tank is probably (arguably) the coolest bicycle tank ever made.

Realistically buying a complete Robin was not something that I could comfortably afford to do at this point in my life. But, because I'm a really impatient person I decided to acquire it on the, "Johnny Cash Plan" a.k.a. "One Piece at A Time". :). Obviously there's almost no worse way to build a project bike. It's pretty much guaranteed to take the longest amount of time and cost the most amount of money. That said, I don't mind a long-term project.

The plan is to gradually compile all of the correct parts piece-by-piece until I have a complete bike cobbled together. Once that is accomplished I will probably begin to go through what I have to make it pretty. It appears the original paint is long gone on the frame so I foresee paint and body work in my future. At this point I'm imagining doing more of a, 'back to new' restoration but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a more weathered "patina'd" look.

After a few failed attempts over the years to find a project Robin I finally came across this tank for sale earlier this year. Yes, unfortunately the tank is a fiberglass reproduction, but it was available and in my budget- two qualities I don't expect to find in an original Robin tank. I may keep that on the bike forever or perhaps it will just be a placeholder until I can both find and afford an original tank.

45ea619a0a6970ab75c756fb3e6d6350_zpsvdhk-1.jpg

In my pursuit of the elusive Robin I made the foolish mistake of setting up an EBay alert for the term, "Elgin Robin" so that every time a part or bike was listed I got an email notification. About a month ago an early model frame came up for sale and I impulsively bought it before I really gave it more than five minutes thought. It was a little beat up but really made me feel like I had a good foundation for the project.

984c523df21d279ae7ca89a1ab9fcdb5_zpscxh5-1.jpg

Last edited:
Great start. These are cool bikes.

I've been infatuated with the Elgin Robin since I first saw one several years ago. I think it's a striking bike whose design really encompasses some of the best styling cues of the time. Plus, I think the Zeppelin design of the tank is probably (arguably) the coolest bicycle tank ever made.

Realistically buying a complete Robin was not something that I could comfortably afford to do at this point in my life. But, because I'm a really impatient person I decided to acquire it in the, "Johnny Cash Fashion" a.k.a. "One Piece at A Time". :)

The plan is to gradually compile all of the correct parts piece-by-piece until I have a complete bike cobbled together. Once that is accomplished I will probably begin to go through what I have to make it pretty. It appears the original paint is long gone on the frame so I foresee paint and body work in my future. At this point I'm imagining doing more of a, 'back to new' restoration but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a more weathered "patina'd" look.

After a few failed attempts over the years to find a project Robin I finally came across this tank for sale earlier this year. Yes, unfortunately the tank is a fiberglass reproduction, but it was available and in my budget- two qualities I don't expect to find in an original Robin tank. I may keep that on the bike forever or perhaps it will just be a placeholder until I can both find and afford an original tank.

45ea619a0a6970ab75c756fb3e6d6350_zpsvdhk-1.jpg

In my pursuit of the illusive Robin I made the foolish mistake of setting up an EBay alert for the term, "Elgin Robin" so that every time a part or bike was listed I got an email notification. About a month ago an early model frame came up for sale and I impulsively bought it before I really gave it more than five minutes thought. It was a little beat up but really made me feel like I had a good foundation for the project.

984c523df21d279ae7ca89a1ab9fcdb5_zpscxh5-1.jpg

Great start. These are cool bikes.

Thanks, Catfish. I'm super excited to finally be putting one of these together!

The next piece of the puzzle I really wanted to acquire was a fork. It just seemed like the next logical step in the bikes' evolution. I placed a wanted ad here on the CABE and our own 'Bikewhorder' was able to help me out although I did get a nice offers from Nick and Darcie and Catfish as well. 'Bikewhorder' was also good enough to cut-down the fork and re-thread it for me and he did a beautiful job.

a6873717aa1536f581ad1c77b4c7a280_zps6fuk-1.jpg

At this point I'm trying to compile a 'shopping list' so that I know what to look for as this build progresses.

If anyone can help provide information as to the correct parts I need I would be much appreciated. Also, if there are multiple potential donor bikes for those parts I would love that information as well.

Need:

Rear rack: 1936 Robin specific???

Stem: ???

Handlebars: ???

Grips: ???

Crank: "Dogleg" style???

Pedals: Streamlined or teardrop style???

Sprocket: Robin specific or some other Elgin models as well???

Wheels: Triple step style?

Hubs: Morrow???

Tires: Allstate 26" X 2.125"

Seat: Troxel long-spring??? Robin specific???

Kickstand: ???

Emblem: I have seen two different Elgin badges. One has the big 'V' in the background and the other has ELGIN written at an angle going across the badge going from the lower left corner to the upper right corner. I believe I want the one with angular writing for a '36 but I am not sure. Apparently mid-way through '36 they went to the "V" badge???

Fenders: Robin specific or possibly Skylark as well???

I will amend this list as the correct information becomes available.

Last edited:
Back