When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 'Ratty' Robin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi- did you ask us about the chainring, or chainguard? I thought you'd said chainguard...

Darcie

If I did say chainguard I meant chainring. I don't expect to put a chainguard in this but I would like the correct sprocket. Some of Bluebird ones and twin bar models look the same to me but I'm not 100% sure they are.

The sprocket (chainrings are what you find on three piece cranks) was used on a bunch of different mens bikes.

Measure your holes for the badge I'm pretty sure you will find you need the V badge.

Here's the rack you need for a very good price! The seller might be kind of shady though:rolleyes:
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?72827-Early-Robin-rack&highlight=robin+rack

Skylark fenders can me made to work but have extra holes and a different front brace and expect to pay $1500+++ for them.

I can hook you up with some wheels if you need them.

I don't think the stem is anything special on these unless you opt for the integrated speedo unit ($$$$$)

There is a correct Troxel saddle I believe but they were found on other Elgins so finding one is not impossible.

I would hold this bike up as a good example of what you are looking for. I think maybe the grips and long pull bars are "incorrect" and I don't think these early frames had chain guards, but other than that it looks right to me .

Robin.1.jpg

Robin.1.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Brings back memories!!
Took me about a year to were I am now. Fenders are the hardest to get along with the tank. But there are a few things out there to get you going.

I recently got my hands on a few pieces and (unfortunately) had a few others slip through my fingers. One of the ones that got away was an original tank that had been listed on eBay. I was the second highest bidder on it but got sniped at the last second. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. It was the first time I'd ever seen a tank for sale in many years of watching but considering I already have the fiberglass reproduction I wasn't prepared to go 'all in' with so many other parts still on my 'wants list'.

I did score this nice rear rack recently though. It's not nearly as satisfying as it would have been to bring home that original tank but it was a little more in my budget right now.

3d0d157738e6bf2a1a8c230bba2982db_zpszwii-1.jpg

Any updates?

I'm surprised anyone still pays attention to this thread after so long without any updates. Thanks for asking.

Actually, the Robin got put on hold for a bit. I still search the classifieds here on a daily basis for odds and ends for it and have picked up a few pieces over the last year but it's mainly on hold.

As I was initially writing this thread in the early stages of my build my wife was pregnant with our first child. The bulk of this thread was written from a hospital room. It turned out my daughter arrived almost a month early so the build came to a pretty quick halt once she was born.

Currently, as often accompanies the birth of a child, we are shopping for a new bigger house. The Robin and some of the other more valuable bikes got moved into storage to make room to get our house ready to show and sell.

The main "fun project" I've had even any limited time to work on over the last two years was restoring an old pedal car and turning it into a wagon to give to my daughter. She loves it so that makes me pretty happy. I'll get back to the Robin once we settle into a new house. I'm going with quality over quantity and selling off a lot of my junk projects and plan to focus more on the ones I really like so I can hopefully finish a few.

Pictures just for fun...
IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_5810.JPG

Back