When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Schwinn Cycelock.

-

cyclingday

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
What/why/where, is the difference between the Yale type keyed Cycelock and the Automatic key type?

Timeline?
Performance?
Reason for the different types?
Did one type supersede the other, or were they both used simultaneously?
Etc.

Last edited:
YALE MADE YALE/SCHWINN "AN123" LOCKS/KEYS WHICH WERE USED ON SCHWINNS STARTING IN DECEMBER 1935.

ABOUT THAT TIME SCHWINN MADE BIKES FOR RANGERS AND AUTOMATIC LOCK/KEYS "2S 123" LOCKS/KEYS
WERE USED ON THE RANGERS.

WHEN SCHWINN RAN OUT OF "AN" CYCELOCKS SOME "2S" KEYS WERE INSTALLED IN SCHWINNS.

IF YOUR INTERESTED I HAVE PROVIDED KEYS BOTH ORIGINAL AND REPRODUCTION KEYS FOR AN 1 THRU AN 500.

I HAVE A BIG COLLECTION OF ORIGINALYALE/SCHWINN KEYS. THERE IS A ONE IN THREE CHANCE I MAY HAVE
ONE AVAILABLE THAT I CAN SELL.

Last edited:
the early cycle lock (2S series-shorter key)came out in 1935 and was used on the schwinn and ranger bikes. these were built by automatic lock and the tumblers are longer-slightly. the later lock mechanism was by yale (AN series-longer key-nickeled/later aluminum)and can be found starting around 1937 and fitted to postwar bikes also. the tumblers are interchange-able but the earlier(longer tumbler) would require a very thin shim-not always there and characterized by a 'sloppy fit' of the cylinder in the fork. my observation is that the earlier and shorter key was stronger and not prone to snapping off like the later yale keys-especially the aluminum version.

EIGHTY YEARS AGO CAN BE DEBATED, BUT I HAVE SEEN "AN" LOCKS ON 1936 SCHWINN FORKS THAT I HAD OVER THE YEARS.
I AGREE THE AUTOMATIC LOCK KEYS WERE STRONGER THAN YALE. GOOD POINT!
THIS HAS BEEN MY FORTE FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND I CAN TELL YOU MORE VARIABLES ABOUT CYCLELOCKS IF NEEDED.
THANKS,
WES

thanks wes-i realize this is your 'forte'! not being critical here. sure-'an' keys on some late 1936 bikes-agreed! i have also noticed anomalies like the 2s keys on very late 'c' or dx models-i suspect using up old parts like straight back key forks being used past the 1936 date! or perhaps it was a replacement of the entire key/tumbler! just an observation.

Back