When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yours is definitely a Murray bike. The chain ring is Murray and the MO in the serial number is for Murray of Ohio; no Huffy involvement. Now to figure out the rest. The Y is your key. No little decals etc to give you any clues. I don't think it's a Murray brand built by Murray of Ohio. Those bikes had their own graphics with an M built into the graphic.
Yours is definitely a Murray bike. The chain ring is Murray and the MO in the serial number is for Murray of Ohio; no Huffy involvement. Now to figure out the rest. The Y is your key. No little decals etc to give you any clues. I don't think it's a Murray brand built by Murray of Ohio. Those bikes had their own graphics with an M built into the graphic.
Yep, Murray built brand. That’s what was confusing me for some reason I was linking Murray + huffy as 1 co. There was more of the Astro flite on the chain guard pre de-rusting. It does line up with the one in the Murray book and does have the M in multiple places. Even an M stamped in rear fender under where that reflector would be. Sweet. Been trying to find all this info for awhile and finally found the catalog today. Thanks!

6DC5043D-179D-434C-91A6-DEBD7CCFCB57.jpeg

C08E77BE-E85B-483A-949B-C83E87B7989C.jpeg

BE39417F-7FEB-41EC-B706-E44C79446289.jpeg

EF6F93FB-4E57-4DF0-98D9-97F488E60184.jpeg

4EBE70E7-B168-479B-B9E3-14F6F0003AF3.jpeg

The year on this image is incorrect. Spaceliners began in the 1964 model year (introduced in the late '63 Christmas catalog), and the painted 'Forward-Thrust' version (yours) wasn't introduced until 1966.
Nope sorry it is correct, a lot of research to get to this point. The tank is metal with Murray branding on it. The bike serial number doesnt provide x=retailer mark. I have done alot of research dealing with this specific bike. The 66-68 forward thrust Sears Spaceliner looks like this per your spaceliner list. Even says foward thrust in the sears ad.
1629650261246.png

This is your 64-65 reference that is similar to mine but different
1629650631868.png

and here is the metal tank one I have from Murray themselves.

1629651693000.png

This was the original Space Bike designed by Victor for Murray, then altered for Sears. Victor S was hired by Murray not Sears.
1629650868995.png
Your info about Spaceliners themselves is correct. This is a Space Weight from Murray and not Spaceliner from sears.
He also designed other bikes while working for Murray beginning his first presentation in 1939.
1629651355719.png

Now this streamline designer got ahold of the Astro Flite "space" name and/or material (new chain guard style "Astro" from hiawatha astro flite.)(This hiawatha was manufactured by Shelby while some from Huffman and Murray.) Then he thought Astro, meaning space and combined it to create the Space Weight bike series for Murray's 63' line with the reused name Astro Flite. This is the era when the beginning of space exploration had begun. Sears Jumped all over it and wanted their own exclusive version that started late in 63' sears catalog.
This astro flite bike style I have is also in the 64' Murray catalog as seen here.
1629654467672.png

1629655026615.png

With the 63' on the catalog in question. If the previous frame style was no longer offered in 64' by murray per the 64' catalog but the 63' catalog in question has the all new space weight bike in conjunction with selling the previous frame models as seen here. They call the new frame space weight while old frame speed weight.
1629655324016.png

This would show the beginning of the Space bike series type to have been originally created for Murray under the "Space Weight" series. Then Sears discontinued their current "Flightliner" series and combined the "Space Weight - Astro Flite" with it and called it the "Spaceliner"
This would have been more popular at the time (Since Mass Produced for Retail) that created the illusion that the Spaceliner was first on scene simply because it was produced and sold at higher faster volumes. The space weight bike direct from Murray would easily have lost the sales and recognition competition right out the gate against an at the time giant like Sears.
The old frame was picked up again by Murray in the 66' catalog.
1629656918575.png

This is most of my analysis with a couple other little things that lead me here.
Like this other guy having problems with a crazy weird serial number with a bike like mine (also has weird #'s) but called it a flightliner since that and spaceliner is where astro flite constantly leads you in research. very minimal info on these out there.
1629657137075.png

1629657288956.png

The one I have is from 1965 and not 63. That is when they changed the sprocket cap on Astro Flite and then the Spaceliner from red center to the 5 piece red pockets as seen here.
1629657862257.png

1629657901348.png

now the Astro Flite starting with Victor S original artwork for space bike.
1963 Astro flite x2
then 1965 astro flite
1629657939816.png

1629658313696.png

1629658335102.png

1629658441969.png

That 63 image also shows the space bike made before the 64' spaceliner.

Thanks for this because it made me organize all my thoughts into one perfectly clear ending to my own research!
Hope this helps in the future searching for space bikes
I will surely be searching for more.
If you ever come across a Murray Astro Flite Ladies version for my wife, please let me know.
Thank you everyone, this has been a journey!

1629651030619.png

1629658236078.png

Last edited:
The year on this image is incorrect. Spaceliners began in the 1964 model year (introduced in the late '63 Christmas catalog), and the painted 'Forward-Thrust' version (yours) wasn't introduced until 1966.
oops sorry B. the alert said you replied to my message so i thought you was talking about the 63' on the Murray catalog image. LOL just realized you were saying that to the picture of the spaceliner bike that V posted of a 63' Liner and not the 63' Catalog.
Lead to great organization of thoughts. Thanks! :)

oops sorry B. the alert said you replied to my message so i thought you was talking about the 63' on the Murray catalog image. LOL just realized you were saying that to the picture of the spaceliner bike that V posted of a 63' Liner and not the 63' Catalog.
Lead to great organization of thoughts. Thanks! :)
Haaa haaa.... No, my reply was to vincev's post (for some reason the image isn't displaying properly). I thought something was funky when I read your reply and thought to myself "are we talking about different pictures". LOL

Last edited:
Bought this bike from a friend last night. I know it's built by Murray, but there are no indications as to what exact brand/model of bike I have. I tried finding pictures online of this frame style with these specific racks, a (missing) tank and chain guard, but I haven't had any luck pinpointing what I have. It doesn't help that I don't know the exact name for this style of frame, as it isn't a standard cantilever bike, nor is it the later Spaceliner-style frame. It's in overall good condition, but I did notice that the dropouts were bent while taking these photos. Any idea what exact kind of bike I brought home with me?

Bought this bike from a friend last night. I know it's built by Murray, but there are no indications as to what exact brand/model of bike I have. I tried finding pictures online of this frame style with these specific racks, a (missing) tank and chain guard, but I haven't had any luck pinpointing what I have. It doesn't help that I don't know the exact name for this style of frame, as it isn't a standard cantilever bike, nor is it the later Spaceliner-style frame. It's in overall good condition, but I did notice that the dropouts were bent while taking these photos. Any idea what exact kind of bike I brought home with me?

View attachment 1471829
Did you look at the Murray Serial Number Project thread? X6 indicates it might be an Otasco branded bike, but I don't know what model.

Last edited:
Did you look at the Murray Serial Number Project thread? X6 indicates it might be an Otasco branded bike, but I don't know what model.
No, I didn't see that. So Otasco huh? Who were those sold by?

View attachment 1471821
View attachment 1471823
View attachment 1471824
View attachment 1471825
View attachment 1471826
View attachment 1471827
View attachment 1471828
View attachment 1471829
1962 Otasco Flying-O made my Murray

Back