When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

-
IMG_20151105_155945_131.jpg
IMG_20151105_155951_741.jpg
IMG_20151105_160003_365.jpg
IMG_20151105_160020_663.jpg
IMG_20151105_160055_820 (1).jpg

Here are some close ups of the bike. It is a rat rod at present with most of the parts not matching. I would like to know what it is to see if I should restore or finish the rat it wants to be...

Thanks for your insight and sharing your knowledge!
Doug

I can't tell what this was originally Doug. Possibly added parts (Spaceliner chainguard and springer front fork)...but no doubt a 60s Murray tanklight frame.
Still would like to see the complete bike from the rightside. To include both tires in the picture.
It might help identity.

There are just too many of the Murray built tanklight frames to choose from without seeing and understanding the complete serial number.
It's all about the serial prefix stampings for deciphering.

It's all about the Rescue / Revival and of course the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

my FB page
https://m.facebook.com/antiquebikerescue

murray1.jpg
murray2.jpg
murray3.jpg
murray4.jpg

Thanks for your insight jd56,
Here they are along with the "original?" forks. I wanted a rat trap and found one cheap so...
I hope to have time Wednesday to do more cleaning on the serial number.
Thanks
Doug

Am guessing you added the rear rack too?
My guess it's a Spaceliner clone...lots of models to chose from.
Should be a nice build.
They are smooth riders.

It's all about the Rescue / Revival and of course the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

my FB page
https://m.facebook.com/antiquebikerescue

Here are pics of my Spaceliner numbers. It is extremely hard to make out in person as well as on photos. It has a clip for the tank and had the forks of of a springer all though the rattrap had been removed.

Thanks for your help,
Doug "Sludgeguy"
Hi Doug... sorry but I've been away for a few months, so I wasn't able to get my two cents in.

JD is on the right track, I think, when he suggested your bike probably started its life as one of the non-Spaceliner tank bikes produced by Murray under their own brand or for others. Since then, yours has had a 1st gen (64-65) Spaceliner rear rack added, as well as a 2nd gen (66-68) Spaceliner chain guard. Since the model number isn't legible, the reason I think the frame is not from a Spaceliner is because of the position of the tank front mounting tab on the head tube... it's too low. I couldn't see the rear mounting tab in your pics, so I can't verify the rear tab design. I have posted a couple of pics below of the mounting tabs from a chrome straight-tank Spaceliner I have so you can compare them to what you have (more comments follow below).

Front Tab_600x480.jpg

Front Tab.jpg

Rear Tab_640x480.jpg

Based on the front tab position, I think your bike was originally probably something like a Murray Astro Flite or a Western Flyer Cosmic Flyer (or possibly even something like a JC Penney Foremost). The higher front mounting tab on the Spaceliner means the tank sits noticeably above the down tube, whereas the tanks on the others sit flush with the down tube because of the lower mounting tab position (as found on your frame). My final comment is that, based on the pics of your rear drop-out where the paint was missing, it appears your frame isn't chromed and was probably red originally and subsequently covered over with a spray bomb. FYI, both the Murray Astro Flite and JC Penney Foremost were available in red paint, so it's a strong possibility either of those might be yours... most likely the Astro Flite.

Here are some comparison shots of how the tank locations differ between the Spaceliner and the others due to the difference in tab position. You can also see how the higher tank position of the Spaceliner results in the twin top tubes coming thorough the chrome instrument panel unlike the others where the tank and instrument cluster rest below the top tubes. The Spaceliner is the only variant of this 'family' of tank bikes where the top tubes come through the tank and instrument panel rather than over top.

SPACELINER
2381_3.jpg

WESTERN FLYER COSMIC FLYER
WF Cosmic Flyer_c.jpg

MURRAY ASTROFLITE
Astro6_zpsoescskbw_C_449X337.jpg

And here's a promotional page for the '63 Astro Flite, in red, which I think is most likely what your bike was originally before it was repainted and had some Spaceliner parts swapped onto it.

1963AstroFlite Ad.jpg

Last edited:
My new Spaceliner Deluxe 1964/5. Model 46901. A first generation model with single speed bendix. All original, even the Allstate matching whitewalls. Horn is missing and the headlight need some work. Tail light works, bike is amazing!

100_2479.jpg

My new Spaceliner Deluxe 1964/5. Model 46901. A first generation model with single speed bendix. All original, even the Allstate matching whitewalls. Horn is missing and the headlight need some work. Tail light works, bike is amazing!

That's a beauty! The paint looks incredible; is it original?

That's a beauty! The paint looks incredible; is it original?

Yes! Original paint, and everything else as well. Overall condition is that of a one or two year old bike. Pedals may have been switched out to girls pedals at one time, as they have 4 jewels instead of 6 on each pedal and appear narrower than boys pedals, so I'll be looking for the right ones soon. Seems the 64 and 65 models are identical. Is there any way to determine if a bike is a 64 or a 65, maybe by the serial number?

Last edited:
They're definitely girls pedals if they only have two jewels per side (and they will be slightly shorter than the men's/boy's pedals, as well). The other thing I notice about yours is that the have a jeweled end cap, which wasn't seen until the Gen 2 bikes in 1966, so that's the second oddity about them. It's really hard to find a good condition pair of men's pedals because they tended to deteriorate badly with use. At least the previous owner went to some effort to find Spaceliner pedals, even though they aren't the correct ones.

I've never been able to figure out if there's anything in the serial number to distinguish between the 1964 and '65 bikes, but you can tell by the caps on the cranks/chainring. The '64 models have the center circle of the cap painted (like yours). The '65 models have a chromed center and the surrounding area in the depression is painted.

If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me your full serial number? I'd like to compare it to a '65 serial number to see if there's anything obvious that distinguishes the model years.

Last edited:
They're definitely girls pedals if they only have two jewels per side (and they will be slightly shorter than the men's/boy's pedals, as well). The other thing I notice about yours is that the have a jeweled end cap, which wasn't seen until the Gen 2 bikes in 1966, so that's the second oddity about them. It's really hard to find a good condition pair of men's pedals because they tended to deteriorate badly with use. At least the previous owner went to some effort to find Spaceliner pedals, even though they aren't the correct ones.

I've never been able to figure out if there's anything in the serial number to distinguish between the 1964 and '65 bikes, but you can tell by the caps on the cranks/chainring. The '64 models have the center circle of the cap painted (like yours). The '65 models have a chromed center and the surrounding area in the depression is painted.

If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me your full serial number? I'd like to compare it to a '65 serial number to see if there's anything obvious that distinguishes the model years.

PM sent, thanks!

Back