When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

-
It's an early 60's (61-63ish?) ladies Flightliner., model 4617. The tires look original, so check the stamped tire code for the year and quarter of manufacture (I explain how in the first post of this thread, in the section titled "The Bikes").

The blackwall tire in the front is a "Cyclerama" and the whitewall on the back is a Goodyear. Both are terribly cracked and dry rotted. Had a hard time reading the tire info through the cracks. As i was looking atvthe front tire, I found a broken spoke wrapped around the axle and another one wobbling from the nipple. This may be a loooooooooooooooooong uphill battle. Rusty chrome, bent braces, relace the wheels, etc. besides all of the reflective tape that seems to be everywhere.

Sometimes ya just gotta fight the good fight. This is one I had to take apart to really get to the meat of things. Lots of effort cleaning. but , with only a few new/ used parts ...............ended up with a nice example of a Strato Flyer. Sorry not a Spaceliner (But Close ).....................just using this as a sample to show they CAN be cleaned up . The Space weight bikes seem to be getting more attention lately..............might not be bad to give it a little TLC By the way I brought a 64 Spaceliner back to life the same way....................that is buried at the moment or I might have used the "Correct" sample bike ! Ride Safe ! :flushed:

IMG_20190123_170517979.jpg

IMG_20190124_032530747.jpg

IMG_20190124_032648327.jpg

IMG_20190124_032743808.jpg

IMG_20190124_032704597.jpg

IMG_20190124_032617484.jpg

DSCF1496.JPG

The blackwall tire in the front is a "Cyclerama" and the whitewall on the back is a Goodyear. Both are terribly cracked and dry rotted. Had a hard time reading the tire info through the cracks. As i was looking atvthe front tire, I found a broken spoke wrapped around the axle and another one wobbling from the nipple. This may be a loooooooooooooooooong uphill battle. Rusty chrome, bent braces, relace the wheels, etc. besides all of the reflective tape that seems to be everywhere.
Too bad. I assumed the rear tire was an original Allstate. If it's not, the date coding I mentioned won't apply.

Sometimes ya just gotta fight the good fight. This is one I had to take apart to really get to the meat of things. Lots of effort cleaning. but , with only a few new/ used parts ...............ended up with a nice example of a Strato Flyer. Sorry not a Spaceliner (But Close ).....................just using this as a sample to show they CAN be cleaned up . The Space weight bikes seem to be getting more attention lately..............might not be bad to give it a little TLC By the way I brought a 64 Spaceliner back to life the same way....................that is buried at the moment or I might have used the "Correct" sample bike ! Ride Safe ! :flushed:
Nicely done!

I might have a white Troxel seat that would work, but needs recovered. The two clamps i'm referring to are on the lower chain stays. Good luck. Razin.

I'm going to leave this bike in the main garage and continue to work on the others in the lower level garage (in order of acquisition) and dwell on whether I want to even get into the Fliteliner. I've got two bikes media blasted waiting on weather that will allow me to paint, then there are four others (one that I wanted and had to take the Fliteliner to get) that will take a little less effort to finish. In the meantime, it will be in the back of my mind or anytime I open the 3rd garage to work on the Riviera.

Raizinhellcustom, what is involved in recovering a seat; I've never attempted it. Most of my older Schwinns have that rubber seat cover that's either good or gets thrown out.

Well, I didn't dwell too long. I got on FB Marketplace to contract the guy from whom I
purchased the chrome ladies' Flightliner and BAM this popped up. So now I have a similar mens' bike.
Serial number MOD 502 46900Y 292034. Can't figure out why this picture attaches upside down.
IMG_20190526_204359573.jpg

IMG_20190526_204902811.jpg

IMG_20190526_204811696.jpg

IMG_20190526_204709459.jpg

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Well, I didn't dwell too long. I got on FB Marketplace to contract the guy from whom I
purchased the chrome ladies' Flightliner and BAM this popped up. So now I have a similar mens' bike.
Serial number MOD 502 46900Y 292034. Can't figure out why this picture attaches upside down.
View attachment 1004997

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed
That model (4690) was from the first year of Flightliner manufacture, and can be found in the 1959 Sears Catalog. The relevant description from the catalog is the following.

26" (wheel size) Boys' J.C. Higgins 'Fully Equipped' Flightliner
Boys' models are red with dual headlights in the tank. Boys' have push-button horn in the tank (girls models had a bell on the handlebars). White tank and trim with deluxe reflector bow pedals and regular coaster brake. Springer fork with truss bars. The seat was black with silver edging and a chrome crash rail. American made. 1.75" mid-weight, white sidewall tires. It sold for $60.45

The pedals and handlebar grips on yours are non-original, and the white trim on the chain guard has been painted over with red.

That model (4690) was from the first year of Flightliner manufacture, and can be found in the 1959 Sears Catalog. The relevant description from the catalog is the following.

26" (wheel size) Boys' J.C. Higgins 'Fully Equipped' Flightliner
Boys' models are red with dual headlights in the tank. Boys' have push-button horn in the tank (girls models had a bell on the handlebars). White tank and trim with deluxe reflector bow pedals and regular coaster brake. Springer fork with truss bars. The seat was black with silver edging and a chrome crash rail. American made. 1.75" mid-weight, white sidewall tires. It sold for $60.45

The pedals and handlebar grips on yours are non-original, and the white trim on the chain guard has been painted over with red.
Thanks, now to find a correct tank and pedals.

Just picked this up and was told it is a sears spaceliner and I can belive it but when I looked through the reference info provided I didn't see my model number which is Mod. 502 46160. I would like to try to figure out what I need to make this bike whole again so any information you can provide would be great.

20190623_161602.jpg

20190623_161630.jpg

20190623_161650.jpg

20190623_161702.jpg

20190623_161731.jpg

Back