When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just picked up this Spaceliner yesterday. I wouldn't normally buy a girls bike unless it was for parts but I love the looks of the Spaceliners and the price on this was fantastic. It is a deluxe model, single speed and everything seems to be there. My question is this, should I attempt to restore this or not? The chrome appears to be gone in some places and I've tried to show this in some of the picts. I thought I had read somewhere the chrome Sears bikes were clear coated. What do you guys think?

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

1964 Space Age SEARS SPACELINER Deluxe with lacquer clear coat removed using Rust-oleum Aircraft Stripper gel (for autos) and working lights and horn! BeEp! bEeP!
In the future, bicycles will look like SPACELINER.

Lights SPACELINER 8-23-2017 01.JPG

Lights SPACELINER 8-23-2017 02.JPG

Lights SPACELINER 8-23-2017 03.JPG

01 Wiring SPACELINER 00.jpg

01 Wiring SPACELINER 01.jpg

Last edited:
This is my Spaceliner. I am not trying to be historically accurate, just "in the spirit of" the Spaceliner I had when I grew up.

In particular, the headlight front end comes from a Flightliner and so does not exactly fit the tank. When I got it, the horn knob had been replaced by a big ugly push button. I replaced both horn and light knobs with modern chrome push buttons that have red rings around them that glow when pushed.The horn is a modern low-voltage piezo beeper.

The front lights are simply LED lights that snap onto 9 volt batteries. The rear lights are little push on/off LED things that use batteries the size of nickels.

The seat is similar to the original in that it is black with a chrome crash rail.

For simplicity, I chose to use red lettering on the chain guard, rather than paint part of it red and then put on white letters. I might go back and re-do this.

The front wheel is all new; the rear wheel is original. The two-speed kick back shifting works well. The pedals are reminiscent of the originals.

I had a buddy repaint the tank and rear rack. I used rattle can spray paint for the front forks. I used white automotive striping to do the white parts of the rear rack.

The rear reflector was a new, never been used find from ebay. The front lights lens came from ebay.

Chrometech re-chromed the dashboard. I can't say enough what a nice job he did. The dashboard was in rough shape but he made what is left of it shiny.

I ride it lots around our neighborhood. It is loads of fun.

20170904_155308.jpg

This is my Spaceliner. I am not trying to be historically accurate, just "in the spirit of" the Spaceliner I had when I grew up.

In particular, the headlight front end comes from a Flightliner and so does not exactly fit the tank. When I got it, the horn knob had been replaced by a big ugly push button. I replaced both horn and light knobs with modern chrome push buttons that have red rings around them that glow when pushed.The horn is a modern low-voltage piezo beeper.

The front lights are simply LED lights that snap onto 9 volt batteries. The rear lights are little push on/off LED things that use batteries the size of nickels.

The seat is similar to the original in that it is black with a chrome crash rail.

For simplicity, I chose to use red lettering on the chain guard, rather than paint part of it red and then put on white letters. I might go back and re-do this.

The front wheel is all new; the rear wheel is original. The two-speed kick back shifting works well. The pedals are reminiscent of the originals.

I had a buddy repaint the tank and rear rack. I used rattle can spray paint for the front forks. I used white automotive striping to do the white parts of the rear rack.

The rear reflector was a new, never been used find from ebay. The front lights lens came from ebay.

Chrometech re-chromed the dashboard. I can't say enough what a nice job he did. The dashboard was in rough shape but he made what is left of it shiny.

I ride it lots around our neighborhood. It is loads of fun.

View attachment 671189
20170904_155407.jpg
20170904_154828.jpg

Last edited:
That's interesting. The frame must have originally been earmarked for a single-speed hub, but was changed to a two-speed Bendix hub, thus the change of the digit from 0 to 2. Both are deluxe models, with the only difference being the rear hub.
I know its been a couple of years but i just purchased a single-speed hub. Is it a simple swap? And does the two-speed hub make a difference? Look forward to hearing back from you.

Mike
Fullerton

Back