When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

-
Just picked up this Spaceliner yesterday. I wouldn't normally buy a girls bike unless it was for parts but I love the looks of the Spaceliners and the price on this was fantastic. It is a deluxe model, single speed and everything seems to be there. My question is this, should I attempt to restore this or not? The chrome appears to be gone in some places and I've tried to show this in some of the picts. I thought I had read somewhere the chrome Sears bikes were clear coated. What do you guys think?

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

1964 Space Age SEARS SPACELINER Deluxe with lacquer clear coat removed using Rust-oleum Aircraft Stripper gel (for autos) and working lights and horn! BeEp! bEeP!
In the future, bicycles will look like SPACELINER.

Lights SPACELINER 8-23-2017 01.JPG

Lights SPACELINER 8-23-2017 02.JPG

Lights SPACELINER 8-23-2017 03.JPG

01 Wiring SPACELINER 00.jpg

01 Wiring SPACELINER 01.jpg

Last edited:
This is my Spaceliner. I am not trying to be historically accurate, just "in the spirit of" the Spaceliner I had when I grew up.

In particular, the headlight front end comes from a Flightliner and so does not exactly fit the tank. When I got it, the horn knob had been replaced by a big ugly push button. I replaced both horn and light knobs with modern chrome push buttons that have red rings around them that glow when pushed.The horn is a modern low-voltage piezo beeper.

The front lights are simply LED lights that snap onto 9 volt batteries. The rear lights are little push on/off LED things that use batteries the size of nickels.

The seat is similar to the original in that it is black with a chrome crash rail.

For simplicity, I chose to use red lettering on the chain guard, rather than paint part of it red and then put on white letters. I might go back and re-do this.

The front wheel is all new; the rear wheel is original. The two-speed kick back shifting works well. The pedals are reminiscent of the originals.

I had a buddy repaint the tank and rear rack. I used rattle can spray paint for the front forks. I used white automotive striping to do the white parts of the rear rack.

The rear reflector was a new, never been used find from ebay. The front lights lens came from ebay.

Chrometech re-chromed the dashboard. I can't say enough what a nice job he did. The dashboard was in rough shape but he made what is left of it shiny.

I ride it lots around our neighborhood. It is loads of fun.

20170904_155308.jpg

This is my Spaceliner. I am not trying to be historically accurate, just "in the spirit of" the Spaceliner I had when I grew up.

In particular, the headlight front end comes from a Flightliner and so does not exactly fit the tank. When I got it, the horn knob had been replaced by a big ugly push button. I replaced both horn and light knobs with modern chrome push buttons that have red rings around them that glow when pushed.The horn is a modern low-voltage piezo beeper.

The front lights are simply LED lights that snap onto 9 volt batteries. The rear lights are little push on/off LED things that use batteries the size of nickels.

The seat is similar to the original in that it is black with a chrome crash rail.

For simplicity, I chose to use red lettering on the chain guard, rather than paint part of it red and then put on white letters. I might go back and re-do this.

The front wheel is all new; the rear wheel is original. The two-speed kick back shifting works well. The pedals are reminiscent of the originals.

I had a buddy repaint the tank and rear rack. I used rattle can spray paint for the front forks. I used white automotive striping to do the white parts of the rear rack.

The rear reflector was a new, never been used find from ebay. The front lights lens came from ebay.

Chrometech re-chromed the dashboard. I can't say enough what a nice job he did. The dashboard was in rough shape but he made what is left of it shiny.

I ride it lots around our neighborhood. It is loads of fun.

View attachment 671189
20170904_155407.jpg
20170904_154828.jpg

Last edited:
That's interesting. The frame must have originally been earmarked for a single-speed hub, but was changed to a two-speed Bendix hub, thus the change of the digit from 0 to 2. Both are deluxe models, with the only difference being the rear hub.
I know its been a couple of years but i just purchased a single-speed hub. Is it a simple swap? And does the two-speed hub make a difference? Look forward to hearing back from you.

Mike
Fullerton

Back