When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

-
Oh shoot I can have me a "Sleeper" Spaceliner once I kick it in 2nd gear...gone Lol! Thanks for the great info!!!!! Then if i find the hub alone I don't have to respoke it into my existing rim.
I still have to be careful then if an unhonest chap sells me a three striped hub but switched gears. I I think to prevent that I need to see what the innards of a two speed look like and disassemble it right in front of them so I can verify what I'm buying. Just thinking out loud

Oh shoot I can have me a "Sleeper" Spaceliner once I kick it in 2nd gear...gone Lol! Thanks for the great info!!!!! Then if i find the hub alone I don't have to respoke it into my existing rim.
If you buy the hub only, you will need to disassemble the wheel, remove the old hub, and rebuild the wheel using the two-speed hub (assuming you're not trying to swap the internals, only). If you're fortunate enough to find a complete wheel and hub, then it's a simple wheel swap.

Last edited:
I still have to be careful then if an unhonest chap sells me a three striped hub but switched gears. I I think to prevent that I need to see what the innards of a two speed look like and disassemble it right in front of them so I can verify what I'm buying. Just thinking out loud
I don't think you'll need to worry about that.

Mike, I'm not familiar with the spaceliners, but very familiar with the Bendix kickback 2 speeds. I didn't see any of your posts as to what year you have but if you want to make it correct 60 -64 would be a red band, 65 - 70 would be yellow. Either will work, same gearing in both but some of the internal parts are different. The 2 speed parts wont go inside the single speed hub so you will have to re lace the wheel,... and probably need a different length spoke. And yes you can test it in your hand. If its not to gummed up hold the brake arm and spin the sprocket. Watch to see how fast the hub is spinning. Now spin it back like applying the brake then forward again. The hub should spin faster or slower depending what gear it was in. Lots of info out there on the bendix 2 speed kickback hubs, you'll probably find more in the Schwinn forums.

Mike, I'm not familiar with the spaceliners, but very familiar with the Bendix kickback 2 speeds. I didn't see any of your posts as to what year you have but if you want to make it correct 60 -64 would be a red band, 65 - 70 would be yellow. Either will work, same gearing in both but some of the internal parts are different. The 2 speed parts wont go inside the single speed hub so you will have to re lace the wheel,... and probably need a different length spoke. And yes you can test it in your hand. If its not to gummed up hold the brake arm and spin the sprocket. Watch to see how fast the hub is spinning. Now spin it back like applying the brake then forward again. The hub should spin faster or slower depending what gear it was in. Lots of info out there on the bendix 2 speed kickback hubs, you'll probably find more in the Schwinn forums.
Thank you for that great info.

I would need the red bands since my bike is a '64 Spaceliner

They're easy to find at swap meets, eBay, or on The CABE. There are a couple on eBay currently.
Just won one on ebay: Vintage Bendix Bicycle Hub 2Speed Kick Back Automatic Red Band coaster brake 36h so I'll have it swapped out by a professional. Seller says it spins freely so sounds good. Paid $50 plus $15 shipping. Im on my way to happy bicycle rides.

Just won one on ebay: Vintage Bendix Bicycle Hub 2Speed Kick Back Automatic Red Band coaster brake 36h so I'll have it swapped out by a professional. Seller says it spins freely so sounds good. Paid $50 plus $15 shipping. Im on my way to happy bicycle rides.

I just received my bike at the bike shop but i forgot to jot down the tire size since they said theyd try to find a pair. ****26" Spaceliner liner tire size??****

I just received my bike at the bike shop but i forgot to jot down the tire size since they said theyd try to find a pair in about a week. I wanna ride sooner than that
****26" Spaceliner liner tire size??****

Back