When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The weird prewar Shelby has an even weirder mate.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
Howdy everyone! A while back, I stumbled upon a weird, prewar Shelby with a bunch of stuff that didn't add up (link to post below)

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/weird-prewar-shelby-doesnt-add-up.132142/

Well, I just came across what I believe to be its mate (same color scheme and fender details, same gold Lobdell rims with Elgin hubs, same vintage, just miles from where the other was located, etc.) only it's even weirder than the Shelby (although I finally figured it out I think). It appears to be a man's Westfield Niagara, that was expertly modified to serve as a ladies bike. Take a look...

Niagara
IMG_5245.JPG

Shelby
IMG_5120.JPG

Some things that stick out...
1) What appears to be original Westfield frame darts
2) Remnant of top bar weld at the seatpost (although tough to see in this photo)
3) Same fender paint detail as the Shelby
4) Same chainring and pedals as the Shelby
5) Same Elgin hub and coaster arm in gold/cream Lobdell (?) rim with black pinstripe as the Shelby
6) Same aftermarket chain guard as the Shelby
7) 1937 serial number

Here's some more detail...

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5247.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_5246.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

There's too much similar about these bikes for them not to be from the same individual. But when I consider the amount of work required to convert this from a man's frame to ladies frame, it boggles my mind. There had to be a better option (buy a used ladies bike, leave it as a man's). Crazy, right?

Back