The "Where are they now?" thread

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
Over the years there has been a ton of collectors who have come and gone in the bike hobby...
As we know...a tough habit to kick.

Here's a thread to maybe locate old fans and collectors ...

The Cabe crew is a pretty stable lot... thinking about past members I am wondering
what happened to Huffman Scott ? I believe in California and a regular contributor on here...

I'm sure there are others

Unknown-1.png

ccmerz

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 1, 2009
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
One comes to mind, Gavin Bedggood from the out islands of new Zealand. I was helping him with parts with his '37 Flyte, then nothing.............

Reactions: 37ccmflyte

cyclingday

Feb 24, 2008
Costa Mesa, California. United States
A few guys have done some jail time, so they were incapacitated for a stretch.
Some guys couldn’t handle the heat, because their ego’s got the best of them.
Some have died and are riding the yellow brick road.
And then quite a few are lurking in the shadows and only rear their heads when something good pops up.
Then, all of the sudden, their participation becomes important.
It’s the guys that contribute day in and day out, when they feel like they have something to add, and not solely for their own personal gain that really make the Cabe, the Cabe.
Most guys here know who those guys are.
They are not trying to bring anybody down for sport are not bragging about how phenomenal they or their knowledge and collections are.
They contribute, because they love this hobby regardless of who you are or where you’ve been.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

cyclingday

Feb 24, 2008
@filmonger
Sadly passed away last year, and even though I never met the man, and feel like the quality of his posts got condensed once he realized he was living on borrowed time, I miss him dearly.
He was just an interesting guy with a lot of interesting interests.
It doesn’t matter to me who he was out there, because who he was in here, made this a more interesting place.

Balloonatic

Riding my '39 Silver King 26X
May 26, 2011
Altadena, CA
Oh man! We lost @filmonger? I loved his posts and photos. A real quality guy. Damn, we lose the good ones too soon.

@Evans2000 is gone too. I always really loved his perspective, a very nice gentleman who really embodied the spirit of the CABE. Friendly and helpful too... and always trying to learn. He passed in his sleep I believe, I can only hope to be so lucky.

Cheers to those who made (and make) this a great place to visit. Bike folks are some of the nicest I've encountered.

cyclingday

Feb 24, 2008
Phil Scott aka. @shoe3
Also passed away last year.
One of the guys out here, described him as a mentor and father figure.
That right there pretty much tells you how much he meant to the guys that knew him personally.
His passion for this hobby was undying.
So I’m sure his spirit is still here keeping tabs on what’s going on.
Thank you, Phil!

charnleybob

I live for the CABE
May 30, 2009
Omaha, United States
Quite a few of the older collectors have become lurkers and have no desire to even log in.
They have become this way due to some constant (in every post) commentators, who make statements that are flat out wrong, even though they are relatively new collectors.
This happens in most hobbies, but has become worse due to the "kids with keyboards" crowd.

cyclingday

Feb 24, 2008
Yeah, but that is where the more seasoned collectors can zap them with the facts and some documentation.
Education is all we really have.
In some cases, it’s the younger guys who are schooling the old curmudgeons.
Some of these guys went to Cycle School by way of the tin can and shoe string method.
Once the internet opened up the information highway, everything changed.
A lot of holes were being blown through the myths of yore.
You’re never too old to learn.
A closed mind is destined to fail.
It’s fun to come here and listen and learn.
This place has been, and will continue to be a repository of ideas and sharing of knowledge.
Some of it will stand the test of time, and some of it won’t.

Boris

Fat tired old rider
Feb 16, 2008
Portland, OR 97206
Phattcat (Brooks Ponto). The originator of the Sunday's Show and Tell thread. I hope he's still hanging in there, but no reply when I tried to contact him in the recent past.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!