When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Where are they now?" thread

-
@filmonger
Sadly passed away last year, and even though I never met the man, and feel like the quality of his posts got condensed once he realized he was living on borrowed time, I miss him dearly.
He was just an interesting guy with a lot of interesting interests.
It doesn’t matter to me who he was out there, because who he was in here, made this a more interesting place.

Oh man! We lost @filmonger? I loved his posts and photos. A real quality guy. Damn, we lose the good ones too soon.

@Evans2000 is gone too. I always really loved his perspective, a very nice gentleman who really embodied the spirit of the CABE. Friendly and helpful too... and always trying to learn. He passed in his sleep I believe, I can only hope to be so lucky.

Cheers to those who made (and make) this a great place to visit. Bike folks are some of the nicest I've encountered.

Phil Scott aka. @shoe3
Also passed away last year.
One of the guys out here, described him as a mentor and father figure.
That right there pretty much tells you how much he meant to the guys that knew him personally.
His passion for this hobby was undying.
So I’m sure his spirit is still here keeping tabs on what’s going on.
Thank you, Phil!

Quite a few of the older collectors have become lurkers and have no desire to even log in.
They have become this way due to some constant (in every post) commentators, who make statements that are flat out wrong, even though they are relatively new collectors.
This happens in most hobbies, but has become worse due to the "kids with keyboards" crowd.

Yeah, but that is where the more seasoned collectors can zap them with the facts and some documentation.
Education is all we really have.
In some cases, it’s the younger guys who are schooling the old curmudgeons.
Some of these guys went to Cycle School by way of the tin can and shoe string method.
Once the internet opened up the information highway, everything changed.
A lot of holes were being blown through the myths of yore.
You’re never too old to learn.
A closed mind is destined to fail.
It’s fun to come here and listen and learn.
This place has been, and will continue to be a repository of ideas and sharing of knowledge.
Some of it will stand the test of time, and some of it won’t.

Back