When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

These handlebars are wrong, right? (1977 Stingray Five Speed)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Maybe they ran out of tall bars due to factory supply issues, strikes etc. Only Schwinn would know the answer.
Back in the 60's-early 70 while the Sting Ray was selling like hot cakes, you would have seen junior bars regularly. Junior bars on occasional Sting-rays but tons of girl and boy 20" middleweight Junior bikes with sting-ray saddles and s7 rims, front and back were nothing new at all. And in this case, then, in many Jr's you would have to option a dealer to put on larger Sting-ray handle bar at extra expense. IDK in 70's how frequent this was B/C by then I was rebuilding 10-speeds, but I trashed a few Jr bars when turning Jr 20"ers into Sting Rays.

So, it does not surprise me to find these bars on sting rays, especially during BMX conversions like 1978 Tornado as they're Jr bars with added cross bar. A Late Sting-ray and Junior bar would not be far fetched at all. And in my Jr, or as Schwinn calls it, "Down Cruiser " 24" 81 Cruiser with JR bar >> with it or regular bar, is a no brainer. It was on my used 'Down Cruiser' when I got it and as far as I'm concerned, it It may or may not have been factory or dealer installed. I mean it was used right. But also has BMX/mountain saddle which makes it a Cruiser/BMX/mountain/Sting-Ray on 24" perfect match.

Albiet, hasn'nt stopped me from thinking often, 24" frame and Krate Springer B/C they're 24" and U can Not put a standard 26" springer on a Jr, unless custom built, (too bad) with 20" S2 on front, 24 the rear, Banana seat and right sized sissy bar, ya got a big boy's Krate, (26" Schwinn springer that fits 20 or 24 frame, I wish) But a Krate Type Schwinn never made. ( Schwinn Named the Krates, but us kids were already making the conversions well before them, using old Schwinn parts, an Schwinn claimed em, as if it was their idea. )[wink])

1981-schwinn-down-cruiser-24-inch-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the 60's-early 70 while the Sting Ray was selling like hot cakes, you would have seen junior bars regularly. Junior bars on occasional Sting-rays but tons of girl and boy 20" middleweight Junior bikes with sting-ray saddles and s7 rims, front and back were nothing new at all. And in this case, then, in many Jr's you would have to option a dealer to put on larger Sting-ray handle bar at extra expense. IDK in 70's how frequent this was B/C by then I was rebuilding 10-speeds, but I trashed a few Jr bars when turning Jr 20"ers into Sting Rays.

So, it does not surprise me to find these bars on sting rays, especially during BMX conversions like 1978 Tornado as they're Jr bars with added cross bar. A Late Sting-ray and Junior bar would not be far fetched at all. And in my Jr, or as Schwinn calls it, "Down Cruiser " 24" 81 Cruiser with JR bar >> with it or regular bar, is a no brainer. It was on my used 'Down Cruiser' when I got it and as far as I'm concerned, it It may or may not have been factory or dealer installed. I mean it was used right. But also has BMX/mountain saddle which makes it a Cruiser/BMX/mountain/Sting-Ray on 24" perfect match.

Albiet, hasn'nt stopped me from thinking often, 24" frame and Krate Springer B/C they're 24" and U can Not put a standard 26" springer on a Jr, unless custom built, (too bad) with 20" S2 on front, 24 the rear, Banana seat and right sized sissy bar, ya got a big boy's Krate, (26" Schwinn springer that fits 20 or 24 frame, I wish) But a Krate Type Schwinn never made. ( Schwinn Named the Krates, but us kids were already making the conversions well before them, using old Schwinn parts, an Schwinn claimed em, as if it was their idea. )[wink])

View attachment 1304377
My bars of choice are the Schwinn exercise bike bars that have very little pull back. Really comfortable bars that I put on my Junk bike builds. COOOL looking old Schwinn. RideOn. Mark.

Back