When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This never happens. Old Elgin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
You all have been a great help. Thank you. I will get some more photos when out innthe shop. I suspect the crank is Og but the chainring has been changed from a different bike and earlier model. The front wheel was a Schwinn. I believe I have a correct front for it but not on a Muselman hub.

Some say the Alemite grease fittings began about 1937; and they are depicted in the 1936 Golden Jubilee Sears Catalog.

In the late 1930's Sears was supplied primarily by Murray and Westfield, I believe that both of those two manufacturers also supplied bikes with the Alemite fittings. But I believe that the primary, Murray did not build double drop bar frame motorbikes; as they started in 1936 with more streamlined designs.

The truss fork, crank & sprocket, and frame, all look like Emblem Manufacturing Co., Angola NY; and there are few other examples.
Swapping Emblem crankset parts with non-Emblem parts can be challenging, because of the fairly wider offset dimension of the drive pin, (and perhaps the shaft & cone diameters too?).

Not a whole lot is known about Emblem serial numbers, (say, compared to Murray or Westfield, etc.); but your example can be tied to the 1936-38(?) timeframe, which could help others in determining the age of their Emblem bicycles within +/-1 year, (instead of +/-10 years).

Last edited:
Here are a few other photos and hopefully helps make things a bit clearer.

Upon a second look at the frame and pics, trumpets appear on the lower double bar, 500k serial number and that sprocket with 2" pin spacing are Emblem 100%. AS is correct. The typical Elgin-styled simple pinstripes are also different than the Westfield frames, in that this frame has pins all the way to the head tube junction(and crack). And as mentioned, the serial # suggests late 30's Emblem made. (400k=1930?) Hub says middle-1936. Don't see them very often, if ever. Two so far...

Last edited:
Some say the Alemite grease fittings began about 1937; and they are depicted in the 1936 Golden Jubilee Sears Catalog.

In the late 1930's Sears was supplied primarily by Murray and Westfield, I believe that both of those two manufacturers also supplied bikes with the Alemite fittings. But I believe that the primary, Murray did not build double drop bar frame motorbikes; as they started in 1936 with more streamlined designs.

The truss fork, crank & sprocket, and frame, all look like Emblem Manufacturing Co., Angola NY; and there are few other examples.
Swapping Emblem crankset parts with non-Emblem parts can be challenging, because of the fairly wider offset dimension of the drive pin, (and perhaps the shaft & cone diameters too?).

Not a whole lot is known about Emblem serial numbers, (say, compared to Murray or Westfield, etc.); but your example can be tied to the 1936-38(?) timeframe, which could help others in determining the age of their Emblem bicycles within +/-1 year, (instead of +/-10 years).
Thanks a ton for the education and enlightenment. The links really helped.

Back