When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This one found me. 80 or 81?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Could someone please tell us what distinguishes the chrome springer from the 60's - 80's.

Look at the OP's piece and then the one HM posted. Compare the two where I circled the image below.

1613186212699.png

Could someone please tell us what distinguishes the chrome springer from the 60's - 80's.
The base of the mid 50’s to late 50’s model is sort of ball shaped and is a cast piece with the pivot bolt housing as one piece with it. The 80’s version is simply a round piece of tubing with a small piece of round tubing going through it for the pivot bolt to ride through. Picture aren’t great but you get the idea.

No need for me to search the internet for the info, I pulled enough of them out of the boxes back in the day to know the difference!

View attachment 1356922
This was my bike shop as a kid on Aviation Blvd. in Manhattan Beach. Got my 1st major brand new bike here for my birthday...a 1979 Blue Schwinn Spitfire. I had it for 1 month, and then it was stolen from in front of my bank, American Savings in downtown Manhattan Beach, as I was depositing my birthday $$$ into my savings account. I was so afraid to tell my parents. I loved this shop.

This was my bike shop as a kid on Aviation Blvd. in Manhattan Beach. Got my 1st major brand new bike here for my birthday...a 1979 Blue Schwinn Spitfire. I had it for 1 month, and then it was stolen from in front of my bank, American Savings in downtown Manhattan Beach, as I was depositing my birthday $$$ into my savings account. I was so afraid to tell my parents. I loved this shop.

If you purchased your bike from our shop in 79, chances are that I pulled the bike out of the box and assembled it for the sales floor. :cool:

If you purchased your bike from our shop in 79, chances are that I pulled the bike out of the box and assembled it for the sales floor. :cool:
Thank you so much. I enjoyed going to your shop on weekends, and then riding through Polliwog Park on my way back home. It’s been through many owners since, and I was sad to see it go. I’m trying to recreate that ‘79 Spitfire, but I only have red. I wish I could stumble upon a blue all original ‘79 Spitfire...any friendly advice?

1ECFFD9B-231F-4D75-B284-5E9616AAB930.jpeg

C2D3DD09-3CC7-4510-BAF9-B98927B567C5.jpeg

AE022DFA-5E06-4D60-ADF8-474490A40E52.jpeg

EDFAF8C2-664C-43DC-91D5-1E5304E6FD25.jpeg

Back