When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on straightening J-hook spokes to straight-pull?

-

jpromo

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I want to make a rideable wheelset for my Columbia porcupine hubs by straightening out the j-hook on either new or vintage spokes. Has anybody done this? Any issues with breakage? The original spokes I have would be better served for a non-rider.

Modern straight-pull spokes are available but the only option is stainless steel and that won't fit the look.

I've done it years ago for a Columbia as well that needed straight pull . I don't believe you'd snap the heads off riding .

I should show you my 1 year old mountain bike spokes- black oxide comes off pretty evenly, don't even wash it much. Swiss spokes-

Original ones can be straightened but it's kind of tricky to do, really have to pay attention to the heat. If you are going to ride them just buy new ones. Also I'm pretty sure I've seen people lace up the hubs with j spokes just by rotating the nub 90 degrees.

Back