When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on straightening J-hook spokes to straight-pull?

-
Not sure why you wouldn't want stainless double butted straight pull spokes. A lot of spokes where nickel plated back when, and stainless looks like nickel to me.

Agreed, and I would 100% be using stainless but the bike wears its original, worn finish everywhere else and shiny spokes would stick out like a sore thumb.

You can have spokes powder coated with a rust finish. I’ve seen this coating on steel parts and it looks cool.

I’m thinking that you can soak the SS spokes in a sodium chloride and iron oxide bath for several weeks and achieve the finish you’re wanting.

In that case I can see your point that they would standout like a sore thumb.I have straightened spokes out to make straight pull and had no problem with them braking .Just put in vice and have the j real close to end of jaws then pry with a flat screw driverand slowley work it to the shape you want.

Back