When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on straightening J-hook spokes to straight-pull?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Not sure why you wouldn't want stainless double butted straight pull spokes. A lot of spokes where nickel plated back when, and stainless looks like nickel to me.

Agreed, and I would 100% be using stainless but the bike wears its original, worn finish everywhere else and shiny spokes would stick out like a sore thumb.

You can have spokes powder coated with a rust finish. I’ve seen this coating on steel parts and it looks cool.

I’m thinking that you can soak the SS spokes in a sodium chloride and iron oxide bath for several weeks and achieve the finish you’re wanting.

In that case I can see your point that they would standout like a sore thumb.I have straightened spokes out to make straight pull and had no problem with them braking .Just put in vice and have the j real close to end of jaws then pry with a flat screw driverand slowley work it to the shape you want.

Back