When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

thoughts on what to do

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

schwinnguyinohio

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Wanted some thought on what to do to make this old Schwinn BF Goodrich look alittle better without taking away from it.Did alittle sample area on the rust on rims and I think they would clean up nice,however I loose the blue pinstripe by doing so,not sure I should continue on that. Also have a period correct set of grips I could put on ,not real crazy about the blue ones. Bike actually ride good,just want it to look aliitle better and appear original.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Oxalic acid will remove the rust and grime .... But you will need to disassemble and immerse in a baby pool, I did one and it didn't damage the paint and all the Rust and grime was gone , but took 16 hours and I had to babysit it to keep the hot water going ... Was worth the effort

I like your blue grips

Change the grips out to some black Schwinn tear drops and ride the heck out of it! V/r Shawn

Agreed on the oxalic acid bath.
This bike is perfect candidate for that treatment.
You'll be blown away by the results.
It's absolutely the best way to save the paint and remove the rust and crust.

Agreed on the oxalic acid bath.
This bike is perfect candidate for that treatment.
You'll be blown away by the results.
It's absolutely the best way to save the paint and remove the rust and crust.

How would the wheels with axles removed do in OA?

Probably pretty well.
Even though it doesn't look like there's much paint left on the rims, you would be surprised how strong the paint actually is.
Without the need for scrubbing, the pin stripes can be preserved.
The chrome on the hubs can be saved as well.
Patients is the key, because it takes about 8 hours in the solution to be effective.
Then neutralize with a soapy then fresh water rinse and a light application of WD40 to prevent rust in the areas where bare metal was exposed, and your good to go.
That bike will be getting offers once it's all cleaned up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a before and after on the front rim off of my '40 Elgin I'm working on. This was ONE CRUSTY RIM too!!

Elgin011.jpg

Elgin012.jpg

Remember that once you clean and polish one part the part next to it looks bad and you end up cleaning that part and the next and the next.........

I had a similar DX with the reverse paint scheme fenders, and that bike was crustier than this one.
I sold it to a guy, because I couldn't get past how bad all the Ivory parts looked. He oxalic bathed the thing, and the next time I saw it, I had sellers remorse big time.
I couldn't believe how he cleaned that bike up.
You just have to commit yourself and dismantle the whole bike. Address each part and put it all back together. Those prewar DXs are cool bikes, especially a blue one with Tommy Trojan on the tank.
It's well worth the time and effort.

Back