When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

threads into nipple enough?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

spleeft

Finally riding a big boys bike
I received / purchased this S7 front wheel and want to relace it with black spokes, I measured the old / original spokes at 269 mm just under 10 5/8" and it has 5/8" -16mm nipples. Here is what they look like on the wheel. The spoke threads are not quite into the nipple head and there are a few threads showing when it is tight. The wheel seemed solid and I was riding around on it with no issues.
Is this sub optimal? Should I replace with spokes that are a few mm longer? Am I spitting hairs here? I will be riding this bike often. Thanks for any help
front s7 spoke threads nips.JPG

Are there more threads on the new spokes than on the old ones? If they're the same length, then they should reach the same point, right?

Is the wheel still together and under tension? What does it look like on the tire side of the rim? Stick something down the hole of a few of them and see how far it goes if you cant just see the end. I think you should be able to see the end.

I don't know whether it is splitting hairs or not. I do know that brass work hardens when subjected to stress. if the nipple were to crack, and the spoke were not through the head of the nipple, the tension would release. If it were through the head, it probably wouldn't crack in the first place, and if it did, it would have to strip the threads or pull the head through the hole in the rim before the tension could release. That said, I have never seen a nipple break that way but I have seen a lot of broken spokes.

Your LBS or whoever you are buying spokes from can make them whatever length you want. I suggest getting some that fit, never mind whether the old ones were the ideal size.

Last edited:
I believe that the longer a spoke is, the better — unless it protrudes into the tube and liner; (I discount the extra weight factor).
If a spoke of the right length has too many extra threads exposed (showing), then either it has too many threads, or the spoke-nipple is too short.

Are there more threads on the new spokes than on the old ones? If they're the same length, then they should reach the same point, right?
I have not ordered / purchased new spokes/nips yet and yes I would think new /identical length spokes wpuld reach the same pint. I'm just not sure that is optimal.

Did you do a three or four cross? Four cross takes a longer spoke.
Wheel is as I bought / un alteredit....prolly 50 years old, its built as a three cross ( not two over / one under likek S Brown describes but all over / 36 spokes / probably factory.

Back