When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

threads into nipple enough?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Update:
I finally laced this wheel with the new spokes. I went with 272mm ( original where 269mm ) . seems to be good with no threads showing, thanks for all the help / advice !

Last edited:
I'm in jealous awe of your wheel stand. Very pretty. I just relaced a '41 Elgin wheel - used the same length new spoke as the old (and I'm sure, original...a 268mm, 15 gauge). I got occasional protrusions into the rim - probably because I no longer have a perfectly round wheel. A Dremel solved that problem easily. BUT - I discovered that my old nipples were 19mm. What I had on hand, were 12mm, and left a whole lot of thread showing. A no-no. I could only get 16mm from my favorite supplier. Luckily, I could reuse my old nipples, which buffed out easily enough to a lovely brass. Now I need a lovely wheel stand like the the pictured. And the skil/patience to actually true a wheel, well.

It's not really threads showing that is a problem. That will happen with shorter nipples no matter what. The guy at my LBS told me the thread length is fairly standard these days.

The idea is to get the spoke up into the head of the nipple so that the spokes are holding the wheel together, not just hollow nipples. That said I re-use 19mm ones too. It looks better on old bikes. Just be sure they are really for the same size spoke.

I believe that there may be spoke nipples of 1/2, 5/8, or 3/4” (or in metrix system, 10mm 100mm, and 1,000mm).

Back