When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

threads into nipple enough?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm still dumb as to why his threads are showing in his picture above if the spoke is 269 mm and it's on the front hub. I have three boxes of Union spokes and nipples from an old Schwinn shop and these 10 19/32 spokes were used on the 26" middleweights.

I just looked at the bike that I took the 271.5mm spokes out of, and looked at a spare one of the replacement spokes I bought to repair that wheel. The "new" spokes are 269mm. Threads are showing on both the new spokes and the old ones. It is more than enough to hook your finger on, but maybe a bit less than on spleeft's wheel.

On the new 269mm replacements the spoke does not enter the head of the nipple until the threads disappear, so my spokes apparently don't reach far enough, new or old. I am tempted to take a tire off and look, but the tubes have a bunch of sealant sloshing around in them.

Are all of the spokes showing the same amount of threads? And do you have a picture of the whole wheel built up? It might help a little.

Here are more pics of the wheel as it was shipped to me ( sept I cleaned it up ) . All of the threads showing are not completely equal, but all nipples have ~3 threads showing. I can put a wire into the back end of the nips about 3-4mm.
My original question was , when I relace this wheel with new spokes ( changing color to black spokes for a klunker build ), would it be more optimal to use longer spokes?
Thanks for all of the replies, lots of learning here !

threads showing 2.JPG

threads showing 1.JPG

nipsinside.JPG

x3yes.JPG

spokenipclsup.JPG

frontwhole.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, nothing really memorable here. Most likely the wheel was built up using spare parts (wheel looks not original) and that is what you may have here. But again, it will work just fine with the short spokes, and if you break a spoke or nipple just get longer ones. All-steel, 36-spoke wheels with straight gauge spokes are really strong, and unless it is thrown off a building or smashed into a fixed object at speed, there is nothing really to worry about. If you are going to the trouble of re-spoking this wheel, just make the spokes a tad longer and stainless.. Done.

Back