When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three Crown Questions - Year, Badge, And Hubs?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Shallow fenders like that were all pretty much 1919 and earlier
Hi Boardhoarder - while you were typing your reply I was taking sandpaper to the head tube in search of that second badge screw hole, as per Locomotion's advice. I found it, a broken off screw that had blended in with the other rust. It's exactly 3 inches from the top screw. Can you measure your big letter C badge please and tell me the distance between the screws? I did PM CrownKing a few days ago, but no reply as of yet. It is a nice bike. The focus of my collection is Canadian-made bikes, but I've made 3 exceptions, a Flo-Cycle, a '57 Columbia original paint, and this one. It's hard to explain why, but it's a beautiful bike. I plan to restore it to its former glory - but I need parts!

Brian , here are a couple photos of my Crown circa 12/15 .Hope it helps Tom

IMG_6235.JPG

IMG_6236.JPG

IMG_6237.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

image.jpeg
Thanks everyone for your input. The distance between the screw holes on my mystery bike is 3 inches. If anyone who reads this has a suitable Great Western badge they could sell, please contact me. I pm'd the owner of the Cyrus asking him for the measurement of that badge but he hasn't replied as of yet. I'd love to know as it looks like it could be 3".

Nobody has expressed an opinion on GW hubs. I read somewhere a reference to New Departure Model A, so that's what I'll go with unless I hear otherwise. I'm still looking for a year as well. My best guess is c.1910. GW bikes from the mid to late teens have a top tube that curves downward toward the seat tube. This one is straight. I'll post a photo.

That's interesting, thanks. I never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed that out. I'm guessing your badge does not measure 3" between the holes, right? - probably 2 5/8 or 2 3/4. I placed an ad for a Great Western badge (of any nameplate) with 3" hole spacing in the wanted to buy section, but haven't received any replies. I'm concerned I'll never be able to get the right badge for this frame. ugh.

Back