When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three Crown Questions - Year, Badge, And Hubs?

-
I'm still looking for a badge, and I have an update which unfortunately broadens the search for the identity of this bike instead of narrowing it. When I bought the bike it had a first generation Hercules hub brake. These were made by CCM (Canada Cycle and Motor) from 1908 until 1917. My first thought was that someone had used a locally available Canadian hub or wheel to repair an American bike. Since then, however, I have found three wood-rim, Toronto-built bikes with Hercules brakes: a Planet and two Hyslops. The Hercules Brake also appears in the 1922 Hyslop catalogue. My bike has a Fauber crank set, but low and behold, Fauber crank sets were also available in the 1922 Hyslop catalogue, and can be seen as early as 1900 in the Rice and Lewis (Toronto retailer) accessory catalogue. It's possible that a Canadian company imported frames from Great Western, assembled them with Canadian and American parts and put on their own head badge. If I can find a GW brand badge with 3 inches between the holes, I'll install it and call it an American bike. If none exist, however, I'll have to hope that I can identify the bike in Canadian trade literature and look for that brand badge. Below are pages from the 1922 Hyslop catalogue. So, if anyone has a badge from GW with 3 inches between the holes, I would love to hear from you!

HerculesInHyslopCat1922.jpg

FauberInHyslopCat1922.jpg

With thanks to Bicycleface, it looks like I have finally found the type of Great Western Badge that has 3 inch hole spacing. It's an early Crown badge. In these photos found on the 'net, if the start of the measuring tape is moved to the center of the top hole, I believe it will show the 3 inch spacing I need. Now to locate and purchase this badge! I will update my ad in the wanted section, but if anyone reading this has one, please contact me!
Crown3inchBadge.jpg
Crown3inchBadge (2).jpg

I believe one of those was on eBay recently. I have pre-johnsons motor Crown. I keep a regular search on eBay. I have seen only about 4 badges show up this year.

hi Brian
got 3 Great Western bikes with 3 different head badges
and you are right, that badge is close to 3" , just measured mine

Last edited:
Century badge, with North America on top, and South America beneath, makes me think of the Panama and the Canal. Panama became a country in 1903. And after the canal opened in 1914, San Diego or San Francisco held an exposition.

Later Panama became a bicycle. The Century holes look like they are in the right places for 3" spacing.

Last edited:
Century badge, with North America on top, and South America beneath, makes me think of the Panama and the Canal. Panama became a country in 1903. And after the canal opened in 1914, San Diego or San Francisco held an exposition.
View attachment 1091782
Later Panama became a bicycle. The Century holes look like they are in the right places for 3" spacing.
Very cool, thanks for the explanation! Yes I believe the holes are 3" apart.

Brian, I have the same problem bought a 1890's rear steer tandem from south bend ind. it has all the fauber chain rings cranks and fittings. pat.1894 the great western badges fit perfect. I'm missing fork, seats, handle bars, pedals, wheels. I saw an old ad that said g.w.mfg. made and sold fauber parts. good luck with your search ! there are some crowns on old bike check them out best of luck Richard...

Back