When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three La Salle Schwinn straight bar estate sale find and ID help please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jonswan

Look Ma, No Hands!
I bought three prewar straight bar bicycles this weekend at an estate sale and need help in positively identifying and dating them. Once I know what they are, I will decide which to keep, which to sell.

The seller thought these were made of gold and I did not know much about pre war ballon tire Schwinns except they are cool and I wanted one. After some negotiation, I bought all three. They look terrible, dirty and rusty but the frames are solid and all are 26". I may keep one as a rusty rat rod, restore a second one to original and sell the third once I know what I have. I did some research on these bikes and now understand the early Schwinn factory records were lost in a factory fire so identifying them is more difficult. There is a link to prewar serial number on Bicycle Chronicles' website http://www.bicyclechronicles.com/#!serials/cid0 Two frames are badged "La Salle Chicago Cycle Supply Co." and the one does not have a badge. La Salle apparently rebadged Schwiin bikes between 1931 and 1940. Any help, references, links is appreciated. Here they are:
IMG_2018_zps412ebe5b-1.jpg

From left to right, bike #2 (early straight bar type), #1 middle bike with basket, bike #3 right side, broken handle bar.

Bike #1 with basket, serial # B79926, crank is stamped with "S" and '610"
IMG_8548Version2_zps0da6822e-1.jpg

IMG_8536Version2_zps1927031e-1.jpg

IMG_8542_zps8ef2b031-1.jpg

IMG_8538Version2_zps9be54e3d-1.jpg

IMG_8539Version2_zps62d64e80-1.jpg

IMG_8532_zps666130b9-1.jpg

IMG_8533_zpsba415ff4-1.jpg

I put new black 26" x 2.125" brick pattern tires and new tubes on the basket bike last night, it looks great and I am going to keep it this way for now. A local bike shop is digging out a used but usable skip tooth chain and some pedals for me and I will take her out for a ride.

Last edited:
Bike #2 with earlier angular straight bar type, serial number # W6253 and sweetheart crank stamped "AS & Co" and "41" so this a 1941 Schwinn crank, but the geometry of the frame looks 1933 or 1934?
IMG_8560Version2_zpsba2c0d4d-1.jpg

IMG_8554Version2_zpsabb9b927-1.jpg

IMG_8555_zpsc317b30d-1.jpg

IMG_8556_zps4aa02b6c-1.jpg

IMG_8563_zps258578fd-1.jpg

IMG_8566Version2_zps1875dc05-1.jpg

Bike #3 broken handle bar, no wheels, no badge, no serial number, sweetheart crank stamped "AS & Co." and "40" . What is it? Schwinn or?
IMG_8578Version2_zps23cfa5d3-1.jpg

IMG_8580_zpse4b6600c-1.jpg

IMG_8574_zpscc1eec4b-1.jpg

IMG_8586_zpsd983ab23-1.jpg

IMG_8587Version2_zps77f9fa62-1.jpg

noserialnumbers_zps999d76f8-1.jpg

No serial numbers?

Last edited:
Nice score! Looks like the crank & chain ring on bike #1 should be fore a bike more like #2 and the crank & chain ring on #2 should be for a bike like #1.
The chain ring on #1 looks more like Columbia Westfield
Not saying the #2 is a Columbia but the both look like they have the wrong ring in them.
I would still be smiling from ear to ear on a haul like that!
Time for a Oxalic Acid bath for all of them. You would be amazed at what is under all of the surface rust.
JKent

Thanks Jkent. I agree the rings and cranks are throwing me off. I would really like to positively identify these bikes so I can decide what to do with them. For now I am going to swap a better seat on to bike #1 and ride it as is. Remarkably, the rims are still true. The other bikes have their hardware soaking in Kroil and a mixture of ATF and acetone to loosen the rusty hardware and frozen pedals. In addition to the cool old bicycle license plate on bike #1, I found an old bicycle license badge which I will keep on the bike.
Winonabadge_zps22a071e4-1.jpg

Anyone know of a link to La Salle Cycle Co.'s history, sales ads, catalogue, etc ?

local help for info

Jonswan, I live in Winona and have been collecting Schwinns for 20+ years. I have catalogs, reference bikes and some literature to review, and have a few prewar Schwinns in my basement to help compare. Many times just the parts can id the approximate year. I'd be willing to help out, just email me at [email protected] or [email protected]. If you spoke to Tim at Kolters he has my number too.

In the Sprocket Compilation thread it has the sprocket on Bicycle #1 as a Wald sprocket.
Maybe aftermarket? But not the same as the westfield sprocket.
Look at post #7 sprocket #6

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?41683-Sprocket-compilation-PIC-HEAVY

And by looking at the wheel to fender spacing on bicycle #2 it looks like it should have 28" wheels.
JKent

Thanks for the link, you are right, it is a Wald sprocket and the 26" wheels do look undersized in this frame. The plot thickens...

Genuine Rides, it is a small world, thanks and I will send you an e-mail. I do buy from Kolter's when ever possible and he is digging out a skip tooth chain for me.

I would imagine the '41 sprocket in the tall frame motorbike may have come from the bike with the Wald setup.

Back