When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three Phantom repops Cedar Rapids, Iowa Craigslist $0

-
1565198987983.png

At a grand each, I’ve spent more money on non-bike stuff that sits around my house that is less rare and less attractive. These three look pretty good.

John | East Sac CA

At a grand each, I’ve spent more money on non-bike stuff that sits around my house that is less rare and less attractive. These three look pretty good.

John | East Sac CA
These are not rare!

By what measure? There are less repos than original Phantoms. 9 million bicycles were also produced in 1995.

These repops dont sell in my area.Local bike shop had one in the box for $500.I passed,my buddy bought it.First ride the pedal and seat broke. The quality is nothing to brag about.I would definitely rather have the real deal.many bought them thinking they were an investment. Good wall hangers but rust up if there is any moisture.

Going off the top of my head I want to say there 5000 anniversary Black Phantoms made and I believe a thousand or so of the red and green bikes. The last real Phantom was made just about 60 years ago and while quite a few were made these bikes were actually ridden. The vast majority of the seven thousand or so reproductions were bought as ‘investments’ and it’s not unusual to find these in the box. The ones that were unboxed lived largely in climate controlled man caves so I contend a large percentage of reproductions still exist compared to the percentage of original Phantoms. That said I don’t consider either to be ‘rare’. Look I realize some folks, for whatever reason, like the reproductions. I’m just not one of them people. I thought this forum was to discuss classic and antique bikes. Am I in the wrong place because I don’t consider anything from 1995 to be either.

I prefer the real deal too. I’m still kicking myself for missing out on the minty OG Phantom Bob sold a while back. The New York Times wrote an article around the time the reproductions were released stating 4000 were made. The article didn’t differentiate color. That’s pretty limited. I collect a lot of old stuff and repops make weeding through a hassle. But these are identifiable products and openly produced by the original manufacturer (sort of). I dunno, I guess I just like them. 90’s stuff doesn’t ordinarily appeal to me either unless it’s vinyl.

John | East Sac CA

Back