When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three speed Firestone Featherweight info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Helll Tom,
From my experience if you want three speed internal gear hubs to work properly you have to do a proper disassembly and cleaning. I’ve only done Sturmey Archers so can not offer advice on how to do yours but RJ is knowledgeable and his videos thorough.
Cheers,
Steve

Helll Tom,
From my experience if you want three speed internal gear hubs to work properly you have to do a proper disassembly and cleaning. I’ve only done Sturmey Archers so can not offer advice on how to do yours but RJ is knowledgeable and his videos thorough.
Cheers,
Steve

Your the man Steve! Thanks for looking that up. Youtube is a godsend.
Regards,
Tom

-----

Good day Tom,

your phrase "Fate plays its funny hand..." reminded me of the opening voiceover by actor/announcer William Conrad for each episode of The Fugitive telly series where the phrase was "fate moves its huge hand..."

OT -

regarding aviation - j

me father taught at two flight schools that i know of

one was located in Hemet California

the other was called Falcon Field and was located in Arizona

he taught British pilots who nicknamed him "binder" for being strict

...all he could do to try to keep them safe when sent into action was give the best training possible...

his students created a newsletter in later times as a means to stay in touch, my dad received it for many years, was published intermittently whenever there was enough material for an issue. it eventually stopped coming to the house about a dozen years back as even the youngest of his pupils dropped away...

yes, they flew the AT-6 Texan, an armed version was used for combat in the early part of the war in the Pacific. The AT-6 also served "hack" duty at air bases for target towing and the like - where the pilots were distaffers.

this image illustrates four of the many liveries for the AT-6 -

AT-6 Texan, four liveries  .jpg

we have some framed photos of them in the family memorabilia

---

the Hampden also saw service in the Indo-Pacific theatre where rising sun pilots referred to the type as The Whispering Death -

Handley-Page Hampden, airborne  .jpg

-----

Maestro di aeroplani e biciclette Don Juvela,
Sorry for the delay responding, the old saying "when it rains it pours"... The bicycle is now completely broken down for cleaning before repainting her. I intend to tackle the rims today and will look for any other markings after removing the rust. The frame itself has yielded no other clues. The peddles however are "made in belgium". A fun project and now the wife is now claiming it as hers.

OT
Thank you for sharing the incredible story of your father. What a complement to be referred to as "binder" among the cadets. I envisioned them sticking like glue together later in combat. Your picture of the AT-6's, the yellow third one is a dead ringer to the navy version I flew. BTW I had no idea about the Hampden seeing combat in the Pacific as well as the T-6's. Thank you!
Did your father ever mention accidents during startup on the Stearmans? The closest I got killed was doing just that...complacency after starting it countless times. Almost walked into the prop.

Stearman start.jpg

------

Thanks very much for the response, bicycle update and additional photo!

My father never spoke to me of his wartime experience so cannot comment on your question.

He had a background in recreational civilian aviation prior to the conflict so the Air Corps decided to make him an instructor.

He was thirty-one years old by the time the U.S. enjoined the festivities; the Air Corps had plenty of twenty year old recruits...at least at the commencement of play...

AFAIK he spent his all of his military service stateside as an instructor.

VJ day came just in time for him as he had received orders for Burma to "fly the hump" in transports.

Hope you are having good fun with the Firestone.

Pedals - is there any sort of marking/logo on the dustcap?

Do not know of a Belgian pedal maker. Something new for me to learn...

-----

-----

Hello Don Tomaso,

what livery hath been selected by Mrs. Tomaso for her new mount?

front hub may be a product of Union Frondenberg (DBR)

some are marked with a symbol and some are plain

the likely symbol, if present, is a letter U inside a shield

2nrk5qb.jpg

Union a possibility for the cycle's drive chain as well, if made by this manufacturer lateral sides of plates will be marked with the U in shield symbol

another part on the cycle which may be Union is the spokes. check the head for a marking...

additional possible maker for front hub is Wald (US)

thank you for the pedal images, much appreciated

-----

Maestro Don Juvela,
I'm in negotiations with Mrs. Tomaso over the outfit. We've narrowed it down to Milk Maid or Nurse outfit.
The front hub is marked "Mark 60", Made in USA, Pat Pending
Below is a image from a EXCEL front hub ad (please note its from Aug 1963 and is missing the Pat Pending below the Made in USA).
Also the chain both Medial and Lateral (your reminding me of me of my ortho rep days) are marked "SEDIS" then every 10 links or so "France"
The link below is from ebay with the closest match to the chain.
Regards,
Tom

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=283112025422

Front hub:

Excel mark 60 front hub.jpg

Back