When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thursday Memory Lane

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So they show up with, what, $25,000 cash? I think that's a conservative estimate. They buy 200 antique bikes at an average of $125 ea and they're actually making a profit flipping them in a developing nation where over 40% of the population lives in poverty? I find it difficult to believe.

Also, thinking of the roughly 1,000 nice old bikes leaving the US every five years makes me a little queasy.
If that scares you then , get your wallet out

I have no problem with them buying what ever they want.
They just need a better way to transport them.
That’s absolutely ridiculous.
I can only imagine what the Elgin Skylark at the bottom of the pile looks like, after a couple of days and a thousand miles of bumpy roads.
It may of had some time worn patina to begin with, but now, it’s just plain thrashed.
It’s sacrilegious to work so hard for something, only to treat it like that once you get it.
At least that’s what my dad, and his dad taught me.
But hey!
That’s just me.
To each, their own.

About ten years ago or so at Memory Lane I was taking one last trip around the grounds the first night there when I smelled some food grilling. Our friends from the South were cooking up authentic Mexican food and I asked them if I could give them some money for a couple tacos, they graciously made me a plate free of charge. Every year when I see them they’re like “hey Mike, remember me?!” I’m like of course I remember you. this year I saw them first and was like ”hey guys, remember me?! They’re like “yes, we remember you!” I was like ”Good! Now what are we doing for Cinco de Mayo?!”

While they’re bike stacking job looks unorthodox, I assure you there are a lot of trucks that come in not much better than that. While they have a good eye and know what to look for, they buy a lot of stuff that would most likely go unsold at the end of the show and people would be hauling home. Do they lowball you? Hell yeah! But most of the other people at the show do so as well. They are always cordial and polite and a few of them restore old VW Beetles & Busses and can fabricate just about anything Including bike parts. If I show up after a day of buying and find a six pack of Modelo I know who left it. Don’t want to see a bunch of mediocre balloners going to Mexico? Get off the couch and go to the meet!

Last edited:
About ten years ago or so at Memory Lane I was taking one last trip around the grounds the first night there when I smelled some food grilling. Our friends from the South were cooking up authentic Mexican food and I asked them if I could give them some money for a couple tacos, they graciously made me a plate free of charge. Every year when I see them they’re like “hey Mike, remember me?!” I’m like of course I remember you. this year I saw them first and was like ”hey guys, remember me?! They’re like “yes, we remember you!” I was like ”Good! Now what are we doing for Cinco de Mayo?!”

While they’re bike stacking job looks unorthodox, I assure you there are a lot of trucks that come in not much better than that. While they have a good eye and know what to look for, they buy a lot of stuff that would most likely go unsold at the end of the show and people would be hauling home. Do they lowball you? Hell yeah! But most of the other people at the show do so as well. They are always cordial and polite and a few of them restore old VW Beetles & Busses and can fabricate just about anything Including bike parts. If I show up after a day of buying and find a six pack of Modelo I know who left it. Don’t want to see a bunch of mediocre balloners going to Mexico? Get off the couch and go to the meet!
YES THERE GREAT GUYS TO DEEL WITH AND I SOLD A LOT TO THEM OVER THE YEARS , FROM BICYCLE LARRY

I don't understand this. Are they buyers for a major collector? Are the bikes all going to be restored? The bikes are all going to Mexico? Everything about this, including throwing all the bikes in a pile, makes zero sense to me. Hoping someone can fill in the blanks. Thanks
They’re probably genuine buyers but it is concerning. I had a mate who was importing used motorcycles from Japan. That was until a bunch of Russians go into it and pushed up all the prices. He was told they were stockpiling the bikes in a multi level car park and it was a money laundering operation. So sad to see any old bike treated like in those photos.

Last edited:
Back