When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time for another game of... NAME THAT PART!!!

-

danny7147

Finally riding a big boys bike
I've noticed that a lot of American customers I sell old English parts to seem to have different names for them than we have here in England, so let's start an Anglo-American bicycle dictionary :)

Mudguards...
Seat Post...
Crossbar...
Downtube...
Fork Crown...
Rod Brakes...

Any more?

Nuts = connecting pieces for the frame tubes.

Saddle

Springer = front suspension, shock absorber.

Hoops = rims.

I've noticed that a lot of American customers I sell old English parts to seem to have different names for them than we have here in England, so let's start an Anglo-American bicycle dictionary :)

Mudguards...
Seat Post...
Crossbar...
Downtube...
Fork Crown...
Rod Brakes...

Any more?

Mudguards... Same here (also known as mud flaps)
Seat Post... Same here
Crossbar... Same here
Downtube... Same here
Fork Crown... Same here
Rod Brakes... I have no idea what this is. Enlighten us.

Rod - breaks= are steel rods to stop the bike, instead of cables. More efficient, yes.

Rod brakes... yep, old English bikes used them until the 50's, basically lengths of rod wire instead of cables...

Now that said, what are roller brakes?? I've heard the term used a couple of times, but to me they look the same as rod ones!

Mudguards... Same here (also known as mud flaps)
Rod Brakes... I have no idea what this is. Enlighten us.

Hi Brent-
Attached is a photo of rod brakes. I'm pretty sure that "mudguards" equals fenders.

images.jpeg

Last edited:
Afen't seats over here called saddles across the pond?I have to disagree about rod brakes being more efficient.I have some bikes with rod brakes and they stop poorly compared to cable operated brakes.

Last edited:
Hi Brent-
I'm pretty sure that "mudguards" equals fenders.

I was wondering about that too, but I assumed he meant the accessory mudflaps/guards that attach to the rear of the fender, like this "Planet Bike Fender & Mudflap Set". You might be right, though.

41fB5h1ToWL._AA300_.jpg

Not bike related but rather British car terms....Anyone know what bonnets and boots are? :)

Back