When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tinsel and Tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

COB

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I went out today (Christmas Eve) and bought myself a present, an old Arnold Schwinn tandem. Now, I know nothing about old Schwinn tandems, but I think that this thing is just too cool. It is in really good condition and appears to be all original, right down to the tires. I have never seen one like it and I just could not pass it up. That being said, I was hoping that some of you folks that are more knowledgeable on these things than I, could tell me something about it and possibly give me an idea of what year it might be. The serial number 391 is stamped on the bottom of the rear bottom bracket with possibly some type of symbol stamped in front of it, or possibly a partially struck "T". I tried to photograph the serial number but it did not turn out very clear. Here are some photos of the bike, fresh from the garage, cobwebs, dirt and all. (I added the red bow to my "present"). Any information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN1963.jpg
    DSCN1963.jpg
    825.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN1964.jpg
    DSCN1964.jpg
    803.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN1965.jpg
    DSCN1965.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN1966.jpg
    DSCN1966.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN1967.jpg
    DSCN1967.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN1968.jpg
    DSCN1968.jpg
    847.5 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN1969.jpg
    DSCN1969.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN1975.jpg
    DSCN1975.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN1973.jpg
    DSCN1973.jpg
    865.2 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN1978.jpg
    DSCN1978.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 214
Thanks! Not sure on the seats. Both are stamped "Schwinn Superior" on the tops.

This is a beauty... 1955 is the first year I find this Tandem in the catalog. 1955 is the only year I see the 'Schwinn" on the chain guard. 1956 & 1957 catalog photos are not clear...

The model was T5. Later tandems like this were Model T15 and clearly chain guards are labeled 'Town and Country'.

Looks possible that you have a first year of this model; 90 pounds of bike; In the early 1960s this bike was ~$175.00 compared to the Twinn offered by Schwinn @ ~$99.00.

Thank you for the information! After loading, unloading and taking the bike up a flight of stairs by myself, I am inclined to say that 90 pounds is accurate... I am into the Tylenol today...

Holy friggin' frig that's a great score. Condition is surreal. Those pedals, man, practically untouched. They must have ridden it twice and hung it up for 60+ years.
Cheers, Geoff

Back