When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips to Stop Handle Bar and Seat Post Rotation?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rides4Fun

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi fellow Cabers,

I have a ‘39 Westfield boy’s bike and the original seat post and handle bar was rechromed many years ago. Even though I tighten them pretty well, I am having trouble getting them snug enough to keep the post and bar from rotating when in use.

The knurling on the handle bar, for example, doesn’t seem to offer a lot of traction since the rechroming may have muted it some. I don’t want to over-tighten the stem (beautiful Torrington Gooseneck) or seat post again (broke the bolt before) and was wondering if anyone has any good tips to offer on ways to slightly “fatten up” the bars and post for a better hold? It looks like 1/32 if an inch in extra diameter would fix things.

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I have been searching through the website, but can’t seem to find anything.

Thank you very much,

Barry

Hey Barry, Shims can be made out of anything. 1/32" equals about 0.030 of an inch. If you're not into measuring, a matchbook is about 1/64". If you were to wrap it once around the bars, then that would add to each side giving 1/32". You can find a piece of metal like a beer can and do multiple wraps. Or, a tin can is thicker. At the hardware store are things like thin-walled brass plumbing bits, sheet aluminum, whatever. A hack saw, tin snips, or scissors are all you need, depending on the thickness of the material. Start with the beer can. It cuts easily and won't scratch the chrome.

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestions! I’ll try the beer can approach first......looks like it’s going to be a fun night as I plan to stop by the store and get enough material to make several shims since it will be my first attempt:)

I tried the beer can shim without a lot of success, the bars would slip on the soft, slippery thin metal of the aluminum can. If you aren't using a commercial shim product you will want something that creates friction to hold the bars in place. The LBS tried to help me with the and eventually he simply replaced the gooseneck stem with a plastic BMX type thing and changed the head tube hardware out...I hate that kludge and will replace it when I replace the bars (a big water meter hole where some fool stole the cover in the road knocked the cross brace out anyway).

Hi fellow Cabers,

I have a ‘39 Westfield boy’s bike and the original seat post and handle bar was rechromed many years ago. Even though I tighten them pretty well, I am having trouble getting them snug enough to keep the post and bar from rotating when in use.

The knurling on the handle bar, for example, doesn’t seem to offer a lot of traction since the rechroming may have muted it some. I don’t want to over-tighten the stem (beautiful Torrington Gooseneck) or seat post again (broke the bolt before) and was wondering if anyone has any good tips to offer on ways to slightly “fatten up” the bars and post for a better hold? It looks like 1/32 if an inch in extra diameter would fix things.

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I have been searching through the website, but can’t seem to find anything.

Thank you very much,

Barry

Perhaps a liberal amount of "Carbon Fiber " grease may help. There is a grit element to this grease to keep the smooth,
gelcoat of the carbon fiber parts from slipping.

Back