When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire and wheel options. 1923 Hawthorne

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Skulybros

On Training Wheels
Hello, I am looking at putting a 1923 Hawthorne Deluxe back on the road. I would like to keep the wood wheels with it but ride on metal rims. (I have thought about lacing the stock hubs into new rims as well.) What is the best option to look original and ride well? Let's say cost is the last concern at this point. This unit is getting full frame off restoration. Thanks.

Welcome to the Cabe. There's lots of info on this very subject if you use the search feature. There are display tires some also use for riding, modern sew-up tires that seem to work, wheelsets off of some British bikes, wheelsets off modern bikes as well as lacing up original hubs to the favorite Velocity Blunts.

Very cool Schwinn built Hawthorne! I have it’s twin! I am currently going through the same thing, building a new wheel set with Velocity Blunt 35’s. The only difference being, I am using new hubs.

I've had good luck grooving & faux wood graining old metal clads. I got it here on the Cabe. I believe that @bikewhorder first posted the process. They can be had at swaps pretty reasonably, the grooving isn't hard to do & my wood graining skills have progressed from poor, all the way to mediocre. I've ridden this one pretty hard & am confident that they won't catastrophically fail. The metal does add a lot of strength to the side wall & they look fairly authentic.

4A01C3B4-EF3D-4A55-966F-B0E4D21C8CBB.jpeg

If you want to be period correct and have a good ride this is it:

Hello, I am looking at putting a 1923 Hawthorne Deluxe back on the road. I would like to keep the wood wheels with it but ride on metal rims. (I have thought about lacing the stock hubs into new rims as well.) What is the best option to look original and ride well? Let's say cost is the last concern at this point. This unit is getting full frame off restoration. Thanks.View attachment 1649290
Welcome! Nice bike... would love to add it the the Pre '33 Schwinn registry. Feel free to PM the serial and crank date for reference. I'd think twice about restoring that bike. Hard to find complete and that one has great original paint just needs to be cleaned up! Do some digging here and you'll be amazed at what can be brought back

To OG question both G&J and Velocity blunts are great options... Have both although the Blunts are certainly lighter. Good luck with the project

Welcome! Nice bike... would love to add it the the Pre '33 Schwinn registry. Feel free to PM the serial and crank date for reference. I'd think twice about restoring that bike. Hard to find complete and that one has great original paint just needs to be cleaned up! Do some digging here and you'll be amazed at what can be brought back

To OG question both G&J and Velocity blunts are great options... Have both although the Blunts are certainly lighter. Good luck with the project
Second on the restoration part! I’d gladly trade my current project that could actually use a restoration and keep this one here OG! But to each his own! Love seeing them regardless.

Back