When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire Choices for tubular wooden wheelset from 1938?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rbu

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Starting to put my '38 paramount together. The bike has wooden tubular wheels that are too wide for a conventional tubular and too small (slightly) in diameter to be a good fit. Are there other options that people have tried to get something that is appearing more period correct? Thanks for the help.

Maybe you've got 650s. Here's what Sheldon Brown says;

Tubulars existed in 6 different sizes, but only two of them are readily available these days.

Full-sized tubulars fit rims of the same diameter as 622 mm (700c) clinchers. This size is sometimes referred to as "28 inch" or "700". It is also, confusingly, sometimes referred to as "27 inch." The "27 inch" designation is inaccurate and obsolete, but you'll sometimes run into it in older printed material.
In clincher tires, there is a real difference between "700c" and "27 inch" sizes, but for tubulars this is a false distinction. Whenever you see mention of "27 inch tubulars" the writer is actually referring to standard full-sized tubulars, as used on most racing bikes.

"26 inch" or "650" tubulars are smaller, mainly used on time-trial or motorpacing track bikes.
"24 inch", "22 inch" "20 inch" and "18 inch" tubulars are sizes formerly used for children's racing bikes, but pretty much extinct these days.

So, the genius that I am , I decided to measure the diameter of the wheel. Its 25" in diameter! So, now I am back to the original "what kind of tubulars am I going to find for this bike?". Are there custom tire builders?

Being now obsessed with this , I grabbed a new tubular from my shelf and found that it fit quite well! The old cotton tubular that I had tried previously was a bit stretched. So this is my solution is to find a 24 or 25 mm width (though the 22 doesnt look that bad.

Yeah, when they tell you it's a 27" tire or a 26" or a 700mm or whatever, they mean the outside diameter of the rubber tire, not the diameter of the rim like with cars. Confusing.

Try tofo tires thay sell a red sidewall with black tread in a fine diamond pattern.They also sell the tire in tan sidewall. a 28mm width.

I have these on my narrow wooden track wheels... Challenge Roubaix 700x27... sounds perfect for you

TIRE84243_3-1.jpg

Back