When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire Glue?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Just received my new Robert Dean Tires. They are stunning and I am very pleased.
Looking for suggestions on types of glue. Instructions say use rubber cement but there are many types of rubber cement with many varying strengths. I welcome suggestions on glues others have used and techniques on how to glue the tires to the wood rims with out making a big mess.

Thanks in advance.

Just received my new Robert Dean Tires. They are stunning and I am very pleased.
Looking for suggestions on types of glue. Instructions say use rubber cement but there are many types of rubber cement with many varying strengths. I welcome suggestions on glues others have used and techniques on how to glue the tires to the wood rims with out making a big mess.

Thanks in advance.

Ed, Most any rim cement or even adhesive tire tape as DNC1 recommended will work fine. The most important thing you can possibly do is thoroughly clean the rim and the tire for a good glue bond. Especially the tire, Robert Dean tires have sort of an oily film that must be completely cleaned off the gluing surface of the tire, otherwise no matter what cement you choose to use it won't hold the tire.

I highly recommend using a rubber prep cleaner on the tire to remove the oily film.

51uqp%2BHPbtL._SY445_.jpg

Ed, whatever contact glue you decide on, it is important to keep in mind that the tire pressure must be maintained around 50 psi or the glue may separate off the rubber. Also, the tires must be heated up first before mounting to stretch it on the rim. Leaving them out in the sun on a hot summer day works, or if it is cold outside, a torpedo type kerosene heater works good. Just don't get the tire too close!

Continental makes rim cement for carbon fiber rims.
This might work well on wood rims as well.
The important thing to remember, is that it is a contact cement.
You only need a slight film on each surface to be effective.
Use it sparingly, right down the center of the contact point with the rim and tire, and folliw the manufacturers instructions, and you should have good results.

I used a 3M adhesive (yellow, snot like) on my robert deans, worked great! Sand the Wood part of the rim smooth where the glue is going. Also, once the tire is in place, there is little time to get the tire aligned. I set up a Jig on my workbench where I clamped on the axle Nut and spun the wheel and could easily see where the tire needed some adjusting. Air pressure is VERY important!

I can’t tell everyone who replied how much I appreciate your help. I searched this topic before I posted the question so as not to be redundant, but there was not a comphensive discussion as was just posted on this thread. Thank you so much.

Back