When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire question

-
Good to know. I have been working in shops for about 40 years and I don't think I have ever seen a 27 inch s stamped rim. But then I probably have and just forgot. Weed is legal here in Oregon....

Not that "I" ever used it mind you.

Since the vast majority of s-6 rims I see are 26 1 3/8 rims, that is where my mind automatically goes when I think s-6 rims. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yes, a sticky rim-to-tire interface can cause an out of round and not properly seated tire, especially if pressured up too fast. If not lubricated it will not cleanly seat. 1st, soap/water or silicone spray the tire bead both sides, then initially put 10-15 lbs of air pressure. Spin the tire to see how it looks. Rarely is the tire bad. If it is not running clean, then push/massage the tire into the rim deeper until it runs good. Then pressure it up.

What tires are you dealing with? My Lime 64 has CST HP's and those actually slipped right on the first round and fit better than the Kenda's. When I put new Kenda tires on my 61 Continental I replaced the original tubes with the Kenda tubes. The original tubes were 3X thicker but the valve stems had a leaking issue at the base. I usually inflate a new tube with a few pounds before installing and I bout crapped my pants when these cheap tubes had 5 psi in them! They were all deformed and didn't even come close to fitting the rim. They were stamped 27" but these things would fit a 32" or larger rim! The originals fit the rim perfectly. Keeping these tubes from bunching up or getting pinched when inflating and seating the tire was a real PITA. So, are your tubes new cheapo's or good ole USA originals?

Ok great news......I took the tires off and used the old tubes I saved that were originally on the bike and are marked 28” and some other junk. I inflated the tubes to 95 psi and the tires are 98% better. The tubes included with the tires are too thin compared to the original ones on the bike. Took her out for a test run and it’s 98% better so close enough for me so thanks for all the suggestions.
Gt the tires are made by Duro in Thailand. I should have gone with Kendas or the CST ones but lesson learned. I couldn’t find any markings at all on my rims except for the multiple line pattern running along the center of the rim.

Well when I usually see s-6 wheels they are the 26×1 3/8 size wheels. Though Schwinn made S-6 & S-5 / S-7 / S-2 Wheels in 16 20 24 and 26 inch wheels I have never seen, as far as I can remember, S-6 27 inch wheels. Though they may be out there. The ISO on 26 x 1 3/8 wheel is way smaller than a 27 inch wheel. 570 or 571 is the ISO for schwinn 26 inch s-6 rims I think. The English 26 x 1 3/8 is different than the Schwinn but I get them turned around in my head.

The 27" lightweight rim was a "NARROW" S-6........
1566818195128.jpeg

Well,They cant be like #3 and be 27" ers? You probably had a narrow tube, not made for your rims. Follow the above steps for mounting and you'll figure it out. Good luck

Back