When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My front tube stem cracked and I have a flat. No one locally has a 28” tube to replace the one I have so I’m back to square one. Can someone with a 27” S-6 rim post the numbers on their tire sidewalls? I want to make sure I buy the correct tires though I think these Duro tires are garbage. I contacted the seller on eBay and he agreed to refund me 1/2 and told me those tires do not fit the older rims. So I will just order the tires but want to make sure I get the correct ones.

My Le Tour has Kendas 32-630 27x1 1/4 and the rim is stamped Araya. The Speedster has Kenda 37-597 26x 1 3/8 x 1 1/4 and roll smooth as silk. Unfortunately I discarded the old tires and wish I had held on to them to compare.

Last edited:
Question first. Why would you have a 28" tube for 27" rim?

All my lightweights that I have access to right now have 27 x 1-1/4 on them. One set of Japan made tires also has K-2 after the size. Never buy Kenda gum walls, they're garbage and it looks like I'm in the market for a new set of tires. Those are marked 27 x 1-1/4 and 32-630

Question first. Why would you have a 28" tube for 27" rim?

That’s what the Suburban had when I replaced the old flaky and crusty gum walls it had. I assume those were the original tires and tubes. The older tubes helped seat the new tires better. They are also marked 32-630 and should fit but I have a hunch it’s the tire itself being off.

Last edited:
Ordered some nice Continentals and problem solved. Those cheap Duro tires suck. These Continentals went on really easy and seated really good.

I've never tried Duro tires on a lightweight so thanks for heads up on junk.

Last edited:
A bit esoteric, but Schwinn also offered rims they labeled as S-4, S-8, S-10 and S-12 and S-14. The S-4 were only used on Town and Country tandems and correspond to the 650B size with a 584mm bead seat diameter; the S-8 were used on early Superior, Paramount and Continental Tourists and correspond to the 26 x 1 1/4" or 597mm BSD; S-10 rims are the typical 27 x 1 1/4 or 630mm BSD size, and were the wired/clincher rims for early Paramounts. The S-8 and S-10 only came in alloy. The S-12 was for 700C / 622mm racing tubulars in alloy and the S-14 was in wood, again both used only on early Paramount racers. The attached image is from a 1948 catalog.

_c2rToIR.jpeg

Last edited:
Back