When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire question

-
My front tube stem cracked and I have a flat. No one locally has a 28” tube to replace the one I have so I’m back to square one. Can someone with a 27” S-6 rim post the numbers on their tire sidewalls? I want to make sure I buy the correct tires though I think these Duro tires are garbage. I contacted the seller on eBay and he agreed to refund me 1/2 and told me those tires do not fit the older rims. So I will just order the tires but want to make sure I get the correct ones.

My Le Tour has Kendas 32-630 27x1 1/4 and the rim is stamped Araya. The Speedster has Kenda 37-597 26x 1 3/8 x 1 1/4 and roll smooth as silk. Unfortunately I discarded the old tires and wish I had held on to them to compare.

Last edited:
Question first. Why would you have a 28" tube for 27" rim?

All my lightweights that I have access to right now have 27 x 1-1/4 on them. One set of Japan made tires also has K-2 after the size. Never buy Kenda gum walls, they're garbage and it looks like I'm in the market for a new set of tires. Those are marked 27 x 1-1/4 and 32-630

Question first. Why would you have a 28" tube for 27" rim?

That’s what the Suburban had when I replaced the old flaky and crusty gum walls it had. I assume those were the original tires and tubes. The older tubes helped seat the new tires better. They are also marked 32-630 and should fit but I have a hunch it’s the tire itself being off.

Last edited:
Ordered some nice Continentals and problem solved. Those cheap Duro tires suck. These Continentals went on really easy and seated really good.

I've never tried Duro tires on a lightweight so thanks for heads up on junk.

Last edited:
A bit esoteric, but Schwinn also offered rims they labeled as S-4, S-8, S-10 and S-12 and S-14. The S-4 were only used on Town and Country tandems and correspond to the 650B size with a 584mm bead seat diameter; the S-8 were used on early Superior, Paramount and Continental Tourists and correspond to the 26 x 1 1/4" or 597mm BSD; S-10 rims are the typical 27 x 1 1/4 or 630mm BSD size, and were the wired/clincher rims for early Paramounts. The S-8 and S-10 only came in alloy. The S-12 was for 700C / 622mm racing tubulars in alloy and the S-14 was in wood, again both used only on early Paramount racers. The attached image is from a 1948 catalog.

_c2rToIR.jpeg

Last edited:
Back