When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire storage ideas needed.

-

10~18kustoms

Wore out three sets of tires already!
How do you all store your loose bicycle tires? I just spent all day cleaning and organizing my barn/warehouse/bike storage area. Tires look a lot better than they did before when they were piled and thrown everywhere, but I'm still not happy with it. Lets see some pictures of better ways to store them! Thanks

Just build a 3 or 4 tiered frame out of 2 X 4's as you would if you were building shelves, but don't add the shelving. Leave enough space between tiers to drop tires in. Make tiers narrow enough so that tires don't drop through the openings. Extend side vertical 2 X 4's up high enough above the top tier to add 2 X 4 stop boards that will keep top tier tires from falling off sideways. Looks like you have plenty of room in your shop to accomodate the height of some tire storage like this. Plus it would only use up about 1/4 of the space your tires are taking up right now. Add rollers if desired (I like rollers). You may also want to spin the tires a bit every now and then to redistribute the weight on the bottom of the tires to help prevent possible indentations.

Edit: Goldenrod points out below that tires should be stored flat, and that is most likely true. But, I don't have that kind of space or want to build a bunch of flat shelving. I use the above method, and as I have just about as many tubes as I have tires, I keep them semi-inflated inside the tires. Inflation is checked a few times a year, along with the tires on all my bikes.

Last edited:
Tires are supposed to be stored flat but that takes up space.
I cut access holes in my garage ceiling big enough for tires and store them flat with a drop light hung in each opening.

Tires are supposed to be stored flat but that takes up space.
I cut access holes in my garage ceiling big enough for tires and store them flat with a drop light hung in each opening.
Let me get this straight : You stack all your tires flat up through a hole in the ceiling of your garage with a light bulb that runs through the inside of your stack of tires?

We all do it, but tires should NOT be stacked flat, one on top of the other.
The ones on the bottom will get squished flat and start cracking in the fold.
The method that Dave/Boris described is a better way to go.
I too, leave a semi inflated inner tube in them, to keep their shape.
I suppose a length of foam pipe insulation would be better, but I have not tried that personally.
I built a bottomless shelving unit for some of mine, but quickly ran out of shelf space.
I don’t buy many original tires anymore, unless they are exceptional.
I just don’t have the storage space anymore.
I’ve got tires coming out of the woodwork.
Tire storage is the critical issue of our time.

Let me get this straight : You stack all your tires flat up through a hole in the ceiling of your garage with a light bulb that runs through the inside of your stack of tires?
No, the light is to view and select the tires I need.

Back