Tires for schwinn 1951 panther?

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Schwinnbikedude

Look Ma, No Hands!
Apr 21, 2020
Illinois
Wondering what tire go on a schwinn 1951 panther I've seen a lot of schwinn Typhoon Cord 26 inch white wall tires with brick treads but I'm not sure if these are the ones that are used. If the Typhoon Cord tires are used on panthers please let me know. Thanks
Capture+_2020-05-09-08-36-02~2.png

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
I believe they would have been Goodyear Airwheel or Royal Master. I believe someone posted an article indicating that Typhoon Cords were not available during this time. I could be wrong though. V/r Shawn

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
Over the years the most commonly noticed tires on the Panthers I've found were Black Wall Typhoon cords...
But I've also seen chain tread US Royals, and Goodyear G3....Typhoons more often than the others...and black wall most common

Schwinnbikedude

Look Ma, No Hands!
Apr 21, 2020
Illinois
I was looking at my tires today and from your post about the chain tread us royal I just found out my back tire is original. the owner i bought it from said he wasn't sure which was original and I was guessing the back since front said made in Taiwan. So I think now im going to start looking for another original tire for the front. THANK YOU! this has helped very much!

Schwinnbikedude

Look Ma, No Hands!
Apr 21, 2020
Illinois
Would these uniroyal tires have been original to my panther. and if they Are original to the bike I'm going to look for a front tire since front was replaced by original owner

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
I'm no expert on this subject, but every single catalog or ad shows or says the Panther had whitewalls, even the BFG model. There was a tire option for D models in black but not WW, Black Royal Master or Goodyear All Weather. When I was a kid Schwinn white wall tires were at a premium so I can see if the tires were replaced at some point the person opted for the cheaper black wall.

1589080805297.png

1589080904542.png

1589081254327.png

Reactions: Hammerhead
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Schwinnbikedude

Look Ma, No Hands!
Apr 21, 2020
Illinois
there are so many different tires it is very difficult figuring out what is original to my bike. it is a real challenge

SJ_BIKER

Mar 4, 2010
Hollister CA
I have bought Panthers in original condition with chain thread tires. If you want to ride a lot then if I were you I'd seek John and get yourself a whitewall set of his chain thread tires...they look sharp and you'll not regret wearing out originals...

schwinnderella

Finally riding a big boys bike
Sep 21, 2009
Palatine, United States
I believe they would have been Goodyear Airwheel or Royal Master. I believe someone posted an article indicating that Typhoon Cords were not available during this time. I could be wrong though. V/r Shawn
Likely that was me. The deluxe Schwinns I had during that time frame which I thought had original tires had W/W U S Royal Masters.
These articles are from The Schwinn Reporter, First shown March, 1951 Second May,1952.

Schwinnbikedude

Look Ma, No Hands!
Apr 21, 2020
Illinois
Wow thank you! Very interesting and useful now I know my tires where never white wall because of the time period my bike was manufactured 5-1-1951. Thank you!

Schwinnbikedude

Look Ma, No Hands!
Apr 21, 2020
Illinois
Now just have to find the kind of tires used. Thank you to everyone that helped the information really helped.

Schwinnbikedude

Look Ma, No Hands!
Apr 21, 2020
Illinois
I am now sure my back tire is original but just want to know now did schwinn used uniroyal chain tread tires?

20200509_212026.jpg

SJ_BIKER

Mar 4, 2010
Hollister CA
Affirmative in the bad chrome years. Fabers cyclery schooled me on this a long time ago I just couldn't remember what years. It had to do with worker safety....a lot of people were getting hurt ...burned skin for example.

SJ_BIKER

Mar 4, 2010
Hollister CA
Here is a link. The ad is for clay tires which you don't want. Ask John about the white wall U.S. royal chain tires. You will have the choice of white wall and off white for the aged classics.good luck

This ad goes away when you register for an account!