When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tires for schwinn 1951 panther?

-

Schwinnbikedude

Look Ma, No Hands!
Wondering what tire go on a schwinn 1951 panther I've seen a lot of schwinn Typhoon Cord 26 inch white wall tires with brick treads but I'm not sure if these are the ones that are used. If the Typhoon Cord tires are used on panthers please let me know. Thanks
Capture+_2020-05-09-08-36-02~2.png

I believe they would have been Goodyear Airwheel or Royal Master. I believe someone posted an article indicating that Typhoon Cords were not available during this time. I could be wrong though. V/r Shawn

Over the years the most commonly noticed tires on the Panthers I've found were Black Wall Typhoon cords...
But I've also seen chain tread US Royals, and Goodyear G3....Typhoons more often than the others...and black wall most common

I was looking at my tires today and from your post about the chain tread us royal I just found out my back tire is original. the owner i bought it from said he wasn't sure which was original and I was guessing the back since front said made in Taiwan. So I think now im going to start looking for another original tire for the front. THANK YOU! this has helped very much!

Would these uniroyal tires have been original to my panther. and if they Are original to the bike I'm going to look for a front tire since front was replaced by original owner

I'm no expert on this subject, but every single catalog or ad shows or says the Panther had whitewalls, even the BFG model. There was a tire option for D models in black but not WW, Black Royal Master or Goodyear All Weather. When I was a kid Schwinn white wall tires were at a premium so I can see if the tires were replaced at some point the person opted for the cheaper black wall.

1589080805297.png

1589080904542.png

1589081254327.png

Back