When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Cell phone ( bring along/or even use) or not while riding. Yay or Nay?

-

Nashman

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I probably am too vocal on my opinion of "phone etiquette" ( where and when and if they should be used) but the "where do you put your crap" thread brought this ( has it been done before?) up or refreshed it in my mind. I loved a couple of comments as to why take a phone with you on a ride at all. I'm sure there are many good reasons ( Wife expecting a baby, or child on life support, or you ride among the tigers, mountain lions, and sharks) to bring it with you ( honey...can I pick you up a latte?), but c'mon, lets hear the good, bad and the ugly!!

I'll get things rolling. "Congratulations Shawn for leaving your phone at home. Personally, I don't even use one. Don't need one. Why spoil a peaceful or special experience with distractions? Let the exercise and fresh air clear your head of cobwebs. Re-create the feeling these bikes were intended to accomplish. Life will wait for the text or incoming/outgoing call. If someone is (or thinks) too important or busy to get off the grid for awhile, then skip the ride. If I have ruffled any dedicated cell folks, so be it, but give it a try. Cut the cord for awhile..ha!! "

Being notified of an event--birth, death, other a couple hours after the fact will not change anything. Using your phone as a camera to capture those moments on teh ride is the only valid reason I can see for even carrying one. V/r Shawn
I'm self employed, If i miss a call I could loose the job and the money, no money means i might not buy the parts you're trying to sell .Me having my phone on a ride could be to your benefit also.

Last edited:
Being notified of an event--birth, death, other a couple hours after the fact will not change anything. Using your phone as a camera to capture those moments on teh ride is the only valid reason I can see for even carrying one. V/r Shawn
100% agree.

I see no problem in taking your cell phone along on a ride or whatever else your spending your time on. I think it becomes a problem when adults act like teenage girls and are constantly texting or on social media sites and not enjoying the moment or the human interaction.

I keep mine on vibrate and check it when I stop for some sort of break. Most of my life isn't that urgent that I really need to have it with me. If I'm riding with friends I'm probably with the people I want to be with anyway...
I carry mine for pictures and in case of emergency.

I probably am too vocal on my opinion of "phone etiquette" ( where and when and if they should be used) but the "where do you put your crap" thread brought this ( has it been done before?) up or refreshed it in my mind. I loved a couple of comments as to why take a phone with you on a ride at all. I'm sure there are many good reasons ( Wife expecting a baby, or child on life support, or you ride among the tigers, mountain lions, and sharks) to bring it with you ( honey...can I pick you up a latte?), but c'mon, lets hear the good, bad and the ugly!!

Whenever I go off and leave it, I never go back for it. Even when driving my Metropolitan! When I get out in the middle of nowhere there’s no signal much of the time so I’m back muddling through on my (NIT)wits. Just like in the good old days.

I'm self employed, If i miss a call I could a loose the job and the money, no money means i might not buy the parts you're trying to sell .Me having my phone on a ride could be to your benefit also.

I "Get that" and agree. In many cases it is a part of ones "bread and butter" as in self employment you are to be available 24/7. The camera is cool to have as well. There are pro's and con's for sure.

To most people I think they can do without the " ball and chain" for a ride, a walk, a nap, a meal. ( and many other pass times like dining or 100% uninhibited/uninterrupted conversation one on one with another human). The addiction is rampant. I seriously think that many people that used to be well adjusted independent, relaxed individuals have drank the "kool aid" ( Jim Jones style) and are over stressed and anxious beyond comprehension. They literally "sleep" with their phones ( lose quality sleep), experience "ghost texts" ( swear they felt the vibrate/sound) all in the name of being "connected" all the time. Who has ever left a cell phone behind ( the truly addicted never will) and turned around dozens of miles after a panic attack!!

I make reference to a couple who are in the on line dating arena. They sit at a bus stop side by side on the bench. They are glued to their phones on "said" dating site. Maybe they are "chatting" to each other on line, but nary a word is spoke because people don't do that anymore. The human aspect of "communication" is being lost in a time of "advanced communication". One step forward, three steps back.

I laugh when I see people walking along ( missing the scenery or curb or pothole!) glued to their phones, or better yet, sitting with friends or family and no one has eye contact, only phone hypnosis. A guy I met on the train this month tells me of a family reunion where no one was talking to each other, all eyes on the phones, UNTIL someone woke up, they put the cells in a box, and actually talked.

For safety ( without sounding "sexist") for women, or highway travel, self employment, and dozens of other GOOD reasons, sure, but in the ATM line up chats, grocery store lines, vehicle operation, and on and on is just over the top in my opinion.

Back