When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To PART or NOT to PART... that is the question?! 1936-37 Silver King M1

-

@fordmike65, I'm gonna take a flyer here and assume you mean I should not part and sell it complete?

I agree with all the comments so far. I don't "need" the money and my time at this point in my life is more valuable to me all the time.

@Boris, you're quite right, there's no controlling what happens to the bike once it leaves my hands, and I'm not trying to here, it's fine with me whatever anyone wants to do with it once it's theirs.

@1motime, I LOVE "don't let the ghosts out"... love it.

@mrg, I won't be parting any of my cars anytime soon, but I will be selling my one owner, original paint, Nomad soon if you know anyone who wants only the most original, regal turquoise & India ivory barn find, survivor '55 Nomad in the country. ;o)

SO, if I go with the consensus here and sell the bike complete, as it sits, who here has an idea for what an appropriate asking/selling price is? Take a look at the photos and tell me what your asking price would be and or/your taking price if it were yours? What I have into it is irrelevant because I want to know a price it will actually sell for, I don't have any concerns about recouping my investment. Please tell me your opinions & thoughts... I'm asking?

Depends on what you have into it. If I had it and built it from parts I would probably part it to get my investment back. If I had it and payed a reasonable price for the complete bike I would pass it along for a reasonable price.
Precisely my new problem, what is a reasonable price in today's market?

i see both sides of the issue and am currently trying to finish up a couple of early bikes 1895/1899 and i know how hard parts are to come by . i would list it for sale as a complete bike price it a few hundred high ,<4 0r 5 ?> you can always come down and most people expect it also put <obo > see what offers you get , tell people in your add that if it dosen't sell you will part it out ! start taking offers on the parts when you are at or near your asking price <your real price > then take your best offer either as a whole bike of from people who have committed to buy parts .keep a list of people who have offered to purchase parts and the time and date of the offer . contact them a day or two before you consider parting do not price the parts ,take offers you might be surprised what folks will offer .

Its always a shame to part a nice survivor.If you are really hard up for money or just in the hobbyto make a few bucks then it will get parted.if you are a collector and not a flipper it will stay safe. I hope somebody wants it as a whole bike.

I think that bike is in the league of its so nice that most people who want a silverking or are currently piecing one together will drop there current project and buy this one. Super nice condition and i bet it rides good too! I think bikes that are in “meh” condition get parted because someone is already building a similar bike to be nicer than the one they are getting the parts off of. I say don’t part, its too nice.

it doesn't really matter. you want to sell the bike. someone will part it out down the line, then the bikes built with those parts will get parted out, my two old bikes are built from someone else's parted out bikes and they will get parted out if I ever sell them.

it's the "cycle" of life.:)

Back