When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To PART or NOT to PART... that is the question?! 1936-37 Silver King M1

-
I don't know much about value.... but I don't know if I see a bike between 3k-4k there. I don't even know if I see a bike that would fetch over 2k in today's market. I am often wrong, but the best you can do is put a price on it and see what offers come in. If you're not struggling for money then don't worry about squeezing out every last cent. If you are struggling for money, than you probably shouldn't be buying bikes in the first place.
Words of wisdom from Euphman06. It shouldn't always have to be about "the money". It's a hobby for enjoyment, not something to stress over.

Words of wisdom from Euphman06. It shouldn't always have to be about "the money". It's a hobby for enjoyment, not something to stress over.

I agree, 100%. As previously stated, I don't "need" the money, and I'm not stressed over it. Bikes are a passion for me, not a business. I just want to come up with a price where the bike will sell. I know if I price it at $4300 it will never sell, and nobody will even make an offer at that price. That price would taint it and it would be viewed from then on as a very overpriced bike; sort of like that $17K bluebird on ebay. Will the seller ever get $17K for it? Maybe, but not likely and certainly not without a very long wait to find a customer willing to pony up.

And as @Glenn Rhein shows above, he has a very similar bike and can't sell it for $2200. I'm back to my original question; where do I price this bike complete where it will likely sell? If $2200 is not getting the job done for Glenn Rhein, then where to price it to make it sell?

If I have to price it below $2200 complete, and all the parts add up conservatively to over $4K, maybe I should just part it out?

I don't "need" the money, it's not really about that - I started this thread as sort of a social experiment; I think all vintage bike folks get into this dilemma at some point. I also know historically, there is a lot of shade thrown at sellers who part out nice, original bikes. If another very similar bike isn't selling at the very decent price price of $2200, what price point then do you think this bike would actually sell for?

Pricing is the single most difficult thing in any hobby, what would YOU do here? I'm back to square #1... To part, or not to part... THAT is the question?

I agree, 100%. As previously stated, I don't "need" the money, and I'm not stressed over it. Bikes are a passion for me, not a business. I just want to come up with a price where the bike will sell. I know if I price it at $4300 it will never sell, and nobody will even make an offer at that price. That price would taint it and it would be viewed from then on as a very overpriced bike; sort of like that $17K bluebird on ebay. Will the seller ever get $17K for it? Maybe, but not likely and certainly not without a very long wait to find a customer willing to pony up.

And as @Glenn Rhein shows above, he has a very similar bike and can't sell it for $2200. I'm back to my original question; where do I price this bike complete where it will likely sell? If $2200 is not getting the job done for Glenn Rhein, then where to price it to make it sell?

If I have to price it below $2200 complete, and all the parts add up conservatively to over $4K, maybe I should just part it out?

I don't "need" the money, it's not really about that - I started this thread as sort of a social experiment; I think all vintage bike folks get into this dilemma at some point. I also know historically, there is a lot of shade thrown at sellers who part out nice, original bikes. If another very similar bike isn't selling at the very decent price price of $2200, what price point then do you think this bike would actually sell for?

Pricing is the single most difficult thing in any hobby, what would YOU do here? I'm back to square #1... To part, or not to part... THAT is the question?
Definitely, do what YOU want, don't worry about what others think. A few months back, I parted out a girl's balloon tire Starlet, putting some parts on feepay. The frame was bent but I felt no need to disclose that in my listing. Well, let's just say that I was "destroyed" on here for it. I was called names and berated for it. I still feel bad about it. I defended myself the best I could, but I learned that opinions will always vary widely, so put on some "thick skin" and part it out if you want. It belongs to YOU!!!!! We all love bikes and are just doing what we need to do to enjoy the hobby.

Last edited:
The more posts I read and especially after your last post (32), I'm agreeing it's your bike, do what you want. The thing is it kills everyone when a opportunist picks up an original bike, they could care less about, and parts it just to make money off (fleece)the collectors. Your not that guy. And on the other hand, you don't "need" the money, but it is silly to leave a ton of money on the table. Someone else will probably just take advantage and then part it ! Parted girls bikes have rescued someones cherished rider and this bike might save a Wingbar or two. Bottom line is your a bike guy and will be respectful to the hobby and that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
If you part it out, people might not want to sell you something high end, thinking you will part that out some day. I say put it up at a high price, and then come down on it. Maybe part out the pieces you put on it, I think that would be fine.
The other drawback to parting it out is that people might not buy all the parts. You might wind up with 1500 dollars and a bike that is un-rideable and taking up space.
Perhaps trade it for a bike you really want?

The problem with e-bay best offer is you scare away people who see a buy it now price that is used to protect yourself. The offers you get are from those who throw out low ball numbers all the time hoping to find somebody desperate. Keep us up to date with your decision. Sometimes we are all held hostage by a bike that is not really wanted.

Back