When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To PART or NOT to PART... that is the question?! 1936-37 Silver King M1

-
Oh thank you for all the thoughtful replies, I really appreciate it. You all offer great perspectives, and I agree with all of them.

In my original post I started with that I want to sell this bike. That is still my main objective; I don't have to max out on the dollars, I just want it to be reasonable, a fair deal for buyer and seller. Ideally, I'd like to sell it complete, I'm always partial to preservation of original bikes vs. parting so I'm thinking I'll go fishing on feebay... if it gets no offers, you might see it here again asking for dibs on parts.

I'll be sure to respond here when I make my final decision and will post links to any sales.

If it were a wingbar or flocycle in complete, original condition, you would reach those numbers. But there's nothing here that deserves $4k.

24" Silver Kings are the prewar Phantom... they're Everywhere.:cool:

i was thinking the same thing. How did it get to 4k in parts? that is why i asked for the parts price list earlier... maybe i just dont know the prices?

Nice bike.
The distance from hub to hub is equal to or greater than 26" balloon tire bikes and the top tube is higher than you'd think.
That's whats important so your knees arent hitting the handlebars. Basically, the SK frame geometry is not scaled down and all these bikes were made for kids btw.
I'd ask 3k whole, which i see as equivalent parts value...you get 1k for the rack and jeweled hornlight and lets say 500 for the tube and button. The remaining 1.5k for the rest with a seat cover about to come off is reasonable with those wheels, stand, and that guard is a tough find.
3k is win-win for the bike and buyer whole.
This M1 frame had a 3 year run, so its not rare, but it is rare for such a complete deluxe example with the optional rack.
Chris

I'm almost always in the camp of "Dont tell someone what to do with their property. Mind ya Bizness" I want to disagree with JMack I do...but I dont. I feel like its borderline anti-social to do that to needlessly ruin something of cultural significance that there is a finite amount of. Especially bc it's a way bigger hassle to part it out. Whatever this increased profit I'd that you're picturing, come up with an amount, post an ad. Give an honest effort to let it stay together. There are more old dudes ready to spend money around here than The Lolita Express. If you're not feeling the love then do what you gotta do. Kinda seems you're trolling tho. Seems like you're leaning in to being a villain in a way that's so clumsy and obvious

May as well just roll up like a rich guy in an 80s movie and tell the black and latino teens in an impoverished area that you're closing their youth center.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am the worst person in the world to give advice on whether or not to part a bicycle. I feel guilty parting girls bikes for parts I need because I think oh maybe someone would want to pair it with their boys bike. That never seems to happen. I would hate to see that bike parted out but if I was looking for a piece that I would need I would hope it would be as nice as some of those pieces.

That being said ... don’t part it.

Back