When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Part Or Not To Part?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Phattiremike

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
So I'm sure opinions differ on this subject but I have tried to sell an x53 and a girls Colson Clipper at a fair price. X53 was repainted decent chrome none OG seat/ pedals and no head light but have had no luck even at a 2 swap meets at $600!

I was trying to sell because I want to purchase my 3rd Hiawatha Arrow and just reduce inventory, my focus has gone from any balloon tire I could find to pre-war.

I decided to go to the wanted section and sure enough people are looking for the parts I have. I struck up a deal and sold the most desirable components, springer, rack and guard for far more then I was asking for the bike!

Colson was basically the same deal but ended up trading a few parts for an awesome store lighted sign and clock combo.

BTW I have been collecting for about 20 years and have NEVER parted a bike this was my first shot at it and it was profitable and actually easier then shipping an entire bicycle.

What's the general consensus on parting, if after no luck selling?

Thanks - Mike

Last edited:
Well, it sounds like the X-53 was far from mint and needed work. Finding a buyer for any project can be a hassle. I came close to parting my last Hawthorne but held out, then again I was in no hurry to sell.

I parted a very complete 1966 Huffy Silver Jet once. But the paint and chrome was peeling off and the only two missing parts were the most scarce; the deluxe tank and the tail light assembly. I sold the parts FAST and held on to things I thought I might use (and did). The frame and fork got shipped to a guy in Florida for a custom build too.

You can't save them all, it's not like you parted a mint original. No harm no foul and you did offer it for sale complete at a very fair price.

It really depends on condition and the rarity of the bike to me. Plus if it's a common girls bike, I can part those out to help with a boys bike. It's not like when you part a bike out, the parts are being wasted. They are being used to assemble another bike. If nobody had parts, you would never get any projects done. But I don't like when i see nice/rare original bikes parted.

I think the clipper was rarer then the x53 but it was a girls bike that needed a total restoration so parting it to someone who was trying to put together a boys bike I felt good about. The boys x53 I only sold key components but did well so more stuff to sell = more $$ towards a killer better bike.

Back